Answered

Connecting 2 x single stereo speakers to Connect Amp

• 13 January 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a Sonos Connect Amp to power bathroom ceiling speakers. As I only need one speaker in the bathroom, I have decided to run the second channel to another single speaker in an adjoining bathroom. I understand I won’t be able to play music to each bathroom separately but I’m wondering how I wire these speakers so that each single speaker plays both L and R channels (Dual mono is what I think it’s called but only available on newest Sonos Amp, not the connect)

Ideally I’d still want to be able to pan audio entirely to just the one speaker if I had to. I just need the amp to output both L and R channels through the single output.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers 

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 13 January 2021, 15:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

See this link on how to wire four speakers:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4730?language=en_US

You would need to wire the Left and Right terminals to both speakers.  You will not be able to pan from one to the other, though.  

Sorry I should’ve explained better. There will only be 2 speakers total. One in each bathroom.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Given that the Connect:Amp doesn’t include the feature to play mono output via both channels, I can only think of three ways to achieve what you want to do:

1. Convert to mono at source (i.e. convert the source music files to mono)
  2. Add extra circuitry on the output side to convert to mono - obviously this would be easier with a Connect rather than a Connect:Amp, as it has line level outputs that you could take to an external processor/amp and then on to the speakers
  3. Upgrade to the current Amp product.

Given that the Connect:Amp doesn’t include the feature to play mono output via both channels, I can only think of three ways to achieve what you want to do:

1. Convert to mono at source (i.e. convert the source music files to mono)
  2. Add extra circuitry on the output side to convert to mono - obviously this would be easier with a Connect rather than a Connect:Amp, as it has line level outputs that you could take to an external processor/amp and then on to the speakers
  3. Upgrade to the current Amp product.

Thanks for the reply. I’m thinking my best option is a mix of both answers. Buy single speakers that can take a stereo input and have 2 tweeters per single unit and then connect another speaker as if I was wiring 4 speakers.

Have you already purchased your ceiling speakers?  If not, then get a stereo speakers, which will have the left and right channels in the single speaker.  You won’t have to be concerned with trying to create mono and will get a better sounding speaker for the space.  You can then follow the 4 speaker setup jgatie mentioned….even though you technically are using 2 speakers.

If you want the ability to turn off or control volume for each space separately, you can get a speaker switch.  Of course, you won’t be able to control that through Sonos.  You would need a second amp for that.

Have you already purchased your ceiling speakers?  If not, then get a stereo speakers, which will have the left and right channels in the single speaker.  You won’t have to be concerned with trying to create mono and will get a better sounding speaker for the space.  You can then follow the 4 speaker setup jgatie mentioned….even though you technically are using 2 speakers.

If you want the ability to turn off or control volume for each space separately, you can get a speaker switch.  Of course, you won’t be able to control that through Sonos.  You would need a second amp for that.

No I have not bought my speakers yet, just the amp, so that sounds like the best solution for me.

Thank you all for your suggestions

Sorry I should’ve explained better. There will only be 2 speakers total. One in each bathroom.

My mistake.  Though as you have covered, there are dual channel single speakers that will give you what you wish.