Connect Beam to tv using audio converter

• 16 January 2021
  • 11 replies

• Contributor I
  • 4 replies

I am trying to connect Beam to a Sony Bravia Tv using an audio converter.  I have coaxial out of tv into converter. and optical into converter from beam using Sonos supplied adapter.   I am trying unsuccessfully to connect to to beam. message on sonos app says « no signal detected  make sure to digital optical adapter and HDMI cable are securely plugged into.... »
it will not connect to tv 

can someone explain to me what I am doing wrong or missing .

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Without knowing what kind of audio converter we’re talking about (a link is particularly helpful), it’s hard to tell. In general, the signal being sent through the optical cable needs to be either Stereo, or Dolby Digital, so I’d start with looking at what kind of signal this device is generating. 

Hey Bruce Thanks for replying to my question so quickly. Here is a link to the Techole audio converter I bought. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XMLGXFD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I hope this helps you help me solve the problem. 

Ann

Not sure that’s a device you should be using, that takes an optical input, and puts out a stereo RCA analog signal.

You’re likely looking for something that operates the other way, taking a stereo input, and outputting an optical signal. 

But let’s back up a sec. which model of Sony Bravia TV do you have? It’s entirely possible there is a better way to connect the Beam to your TV. 

If it’s too hard to find the model number, a picture of the connections on the back of the TV would be fine, too ;)

Sony Bravia model number KDL -32M4000

According to the manual here, that device has a digital audio output, which is coaxial. 

So, you could use a device like this one (sorry, us Amazon, but you could look up the device by name on the Amazon.CA website):

https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Converter-Bi-Directional-Repeater-ROOFULL/dp/B01N32C5GT/

Then you’d take a coax cable and run it from the digital coaxial out on the TV and plug it in to that adapter. Then an optical cable from the adapter to the Sonos adapter that came with the Beam, and that adapter goes to the Beam. 

Hopefully, assuming the TV can pass Dolby Digital through, that should get you 3.0 on the Beam.  

On reading through further specifications, the best the TV can accept / pass through is a stereo signal, not Dolby Digital. This must be a very old, in TV years, set. I’m tempted to suggest that you consider getting a newer TV set, you may be much happier that way. 

i did exactly what you mentioned. used a coaxial cable from the TV out and plugged it into the adapter/converter. Then  an optical cable from the adapter/converter to the Sonos adapter cable and that cable to the beam HDMI.  But couldn't connect and no sound from the beam. 

In response to you mentioning it must be an old TV it is about 10 years old. I was really hoping there would be a work around so I wouldn't have to buy a new TV.  

Thanks for trying to help. 

Ann 

The adapter you linked to is one way...and the opposite way you needed. The one I linked to should work.

On the other hand, depending on how many HDMI sources you have, you would actually be better off with an external HDMI switch with an optical output. There are dozens on Amazon, at fairly near the price of that incorrect adapter you purchased. The benefit of something like that would be that you would be pulling off the audio before it reached the TV, and any limitations in the TV’s audio electronics. Something along the lines of this.

You would connect your source(s) to it, and then run an HDMI cable from the output of the switch to your TV, and the optical cable from the appropriate output jack, to the adapter that came with the Beam.

Much neater (in my opinion) solution than trying to force the audio through the TV. I have somewhat of a similar setup for similar but other reasons. 

Edit: on further reflection, the reason I need to use this method is exactly the same as yours, the audio electronics in my TV are just not as good as the video electronics ;)

Bruce  I didn’t realize the link you had attached was an option for my problem. 

I will order it today. Thank you for taking the time to help me. 

Have a good day. 

Ann

My link was only an example, there are dozens of varied types out there, from the number of ports, to remote controls, etc. I have no knowledge of that specific three port model, so you should shop around for the features and price point that appeals to your needs. 

The key things the device needs is an HDMI input, an HDMI output, and an optical output.