Connect BBC Sounds

I have a pair of Play 1 speakers and we are an Apple household. How do I connect and play the new BBC Sounds App?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sorry but you can't.
This is what prevents alot UK customers from recommending sonos........(as well as no DTS support.)
Iam hoping that google integration, now next year 😠, will open bbc iplayer radio up 🆒
You could buy a sonos device with a line in like play5 or connect, and use a lead to your music player, or plug a google chromecast audio into a sonos line in and cast from iplayer app.

There are some bbc podcasts in the tunein radio app from within sonos, so you can play some of those.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
You could buy a sonos device with a line in like play5 or connect, and use a lead to your player.
Or use Airplay. Either:
(1) Get an Airplay capable Sonos device, any of: PLAY:5, Playbase, Beam, ONE, or
(2) If you have the technical skills, run AirConnect [1] to enable Airplay on any Sonos device

[1] https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Ah yes pwt, i forgot the airplay option, probably as I only have play1's 😞
Thank you both for your advice.
Badge
Airplay is a great option for sonos. I think you should upgrade your sonos its really worth it now.
Badge
Here is the BBC Sounds Help advice:

Can I use a Sonos device with the BBC Sounds and BBC iPlayer Radio apps?[

Yes, you can! If you have either a Sonos One, Beam, Playbase, or second generation Play:5 device, you can AirPlay from the BBC Sounds app or BBC iPlayer Radio app on your iPad or iPhone to all your Sonos speakers.

You'll need to have v9 of the Sonos Controller app installed and accept the latest device firmware update within the app.

Sonos One owners also have the option of accessing BBC radio and podcasts using their voice - just say, "Alexa, open the BBC," to get started.

It's not yet possible to use the BBC Sounds and BBC iPlayer Radio apps through Sonos from Android devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If an apple family and have a mac - I'm not sure if Airsonos still works (it will allow older speakers to have airplay)

http://airsonos.stephenwan.net/
Why is BBC and Sonos, so Apple biased? Android is the most used mobile operating system, way ahead of IOs, in number of users. Most corporations would target the largest customer base first, wouldn't they? I'm one of many Sonos owners who wish they were not, primarily because of the absence of Android iPlayer support. Buy a Chromecast Audio while you can!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Why is BBC and Sonos, so Apple biased? Android is the most used mobile operating system, way ahead of IOs, in number of users. Most corporations would target the largest customer base first, wouldn't they? I'm one of many Sonos owners who wish they were not, primarily because of the absence of Android iPlayer support. Buy a Chromecast Audio while you can!
Have you tried this: https://www.airaudio.eu ?
I’m not really an Android user, so I can’t comment on whether it’s any good.
Air Audio requires me to "root" my device. Not for me, but thanks for the suggestion. Might suit others.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings