Answered

CD Quality Music-

• 25 October 2018
  • 2 replies

I want to listen to my CD collection at CD quality via Sonos. I was able to get Sonos to play this library however the songs on the CD's are showing bit rates of 192 or 129 Kbps when I look at the file properties and I understand I need 1411 Kbps to enjoy CD quality. Do I need to delete the albums and "re-rip"them in itunes? Does Itunes allow me to rip them at 1411? If so can you point me to instructions on how to do this. Also would there be a way to do this and have the songs on a portable USB hard drive rather than the C drive on my computer. I've never been able to figure out how to get itunes to point to anything other than the music folder on C drive?
icon

Best answer by Chris 25 October 2018, 01:18

Yes what format did you rip your CD's in.... if your ripped them to MP3 they are probably 192kps. MP3 maxes out at 320kpbs rips on Sonos.

If you want full range CD you need to first rip as lossless (in iTunes there is a loseless ALAC … I prefer the more standard FLAC Lossless).

If you decide to save space and not do FLAC or ALAC then MP3 at 320kpbs isn't bad.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes what format did you rip your CD's in.... if your ripped them to MP3 they are probably 192kps. MP3 maxes out at 320kpbs rips on Sonos.

If you want full range CD you need to first rip as lossless (in iTunes there is a loseless ALAC … I prefer the more standard FLAC Lossless).

If you decide to save space and not do FLAC or ALAC then MP3 at 320kpbs isn't bad.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Best place to put all your music is originally rip to your computer then back it all up to an NAS drive to place on network (like a WD MyCloud). You can leave your actual iTunes on your computer - just have it setup to backup to the NAS drive so Sonos has 24/7 access to the NAS drive with all your music etc.