Answered

Cannot hear play 1 speakers when new sonos amp connected to TV via hdmi

• 15 December 2018
  • 8 replies

The speakers work well when playing songs from my app, but just connected the new amp to TV via hdmi, chose optical sound option but speakers not working. Any idea? Thanks
icon

Best answer by Chris 15 December 2018, 16:44

There are 2 sound modes in the settings (surround settings) for a room

Ambient Mode - the Rear speakers are always surrounds and when watching TV it will be dependent on how much 5.1 mix is sending to those rears if you hear nothing at all. When listening to music the rears act like old Dolby Prologic where you get a little bit of mix from the rears but not much.

Full Mode - the rear speakers when watching TV still are just surrounds so still may not play much if the mix coming to them from TV has very little surround info. HOWEVER, if you play Sonos music they act as a full stereo pair giving you full stereo sound when listening to music via controller/online source.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Hi. Are you listening to a multichannel source? If it is just a stereo source there may be nothing for the surrounds to play.
Hi. I just got the amp plus 2 play1 speakers. The tv is samsung and recognizes the hdmi connection but no sound
Trying to play anything on tv
If i play a song from my app. It works fine. But not from a tv video for example
If you are just watching a normal TV broadcast it probably isn't in 5.1 sound, in which case there would be nothing going to the rear speakers
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There are 2 sound modes in the settings (surround settings) for a room

Ambient Mode - the Rear speakers are always surrounds and when watching TV it will be dependent on how much 5.1 mix is sending to those rears if you hear nothing at all. When listening to music the rears act like old Dolby Prologic where you get a little bit of mix from the rears but not much.

Full Mode - the rear speakers when watching TV still are just surrounds so still may not play much if the mix coming to them from TV has very little surround info. HOWEVER, if you play Sonos music they act as a full stereo pair giving you full stereo sound when listening to music via controller/online source.
Hey, I have the following problem: I want to play only sound (CD in a Blue Ray Player) via the new AMP. Any idea on how I could make this work?
It's the same as the normal setup. The Blu ray player would be connected to the TV with an HDMI cable, the TV would be connected to the Sonos Amp with another HDMI cable from the HDMI-ARC on the TV, and you'd just play the CD.

The issue you'd run in to is when you tried to play the majority of Blu rays, i.e. the Sonos Amp won't be able to process a DTS signal, it can only handle stereo or Dolby Digital. In the case of a DTS signal, the Sonos Amp's connected speakers would be silent.