Answered

Can the new sonos amp be used for gaming?

• 19 March 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi Guys, I currently have the old sonos amp zp120 I think it is in my office. I've then got my pc speakers connected to the pc. I originally bought the zp120 many years ago to plug the pc into however there was too much of a delay. I'm wondering with the new sonos amp being able to be used for TV whether it is now suitable for the pc thus getting rid of having two sets of speakers in one room! Any ideas? Thanks
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 19 March 2019, 16:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The Sonos amp has an HDMI port for use with HDMI-ARC (an optical adapter is available) which can take in PCM stereo or a Dolby Digital signal without a significant delay (no lip sync issues). So, if your PC can send a PCM or Dolby Digital through ARC (Unlikely I think) or optical, then it should work fine for you.
Perfect sounds like its going to be able to do it. I can get a hdmi spliter that can pass the hdmi signal to the screen and then split the optical to the amp. 😃
That would work, yes. You should be able to get at least PCM from that. If your using the Sonos amp alone, no surrounds, it won't be that big of a difference.
Let me reiterate melvimbe's warning about the fact that the HDMI input is not HDMI, it is HDMI-ARC, something most computers don't generate.
Let me reiterate melvimbe's warning about the fact that the HDMI input is not HDMI, it is HDMI-ARC, something most computers don't generate.

Right, but Baldog was going to use a splitter to convert the HDMI to optical (and then the adapter to go from optical to HDMI-ARC). That will work.

You're correct though, it's not a point that should be overlooked.

edit: changed "your" to "you're"
It's one of those things that I think are important, and might be missed by those who read this thread at a later date 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Good callout about the adapter. We have one here that takes the optical out from the computer (assuming it has one) and switches it over to optical.