Question

Can't find my private Spotify/Tidal playlists in Sonos search

• 25 September 2020
  • 6 replies

When I use Sonos search to look for playlists, it only finds public playlists by other people not my own private playlists and services like Spotify and YouTube music and tidal. I am able to see the playlist if I use the browse function from the top menu but that's much slower. Is there any way to make this work? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @User309062, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos Community and I appreciate you for providing us your concern. Let me help you and figure out what's happening.

First I'd like to isolate the issue so we can create a path towards resolution.

1. When did the issue start happening?
  2. Any changes especially on your network? 
  3. Do you also experience the same issue with other music services like Sonos Radio or TuneIn?
  4. Have you tried to remove/re-add Spotify, YouTube, and Tidal music services on the Sonos app? Were you able to see your playlist?
  5. Have you tried other mobile devices if you see your playlist? 

If after going through the steps above and you're still having the same issues, please submit a diagnostic report to further check on this.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Thanks Rowena. Answers to your questions:

1 - Only noticed recently but I wasn’t using the spotify app much before

2 - Not in the last week or so - we moved recently, but all the normal Sonos functions seem to be working, and I can see my playlists by navigating from the Browse view (just not Search).

3 - Yes same issue happens for Youtube Music. I tried reproducing the issue with Sonos Radio but not sure how to since I can’t create my own playlists there.

4- Tried re-adding Spotify, no change in behavior.

5- Yes, tried on iphone and android, same thing.

I submitted diagnostics just now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @User309062, thank you for your response and for answering all my questions. I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing the same.

Let me suggest the following steps to see if this would work for you.

The next step is to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection. I understand that your concern is that can't see your playlist. Your Sonos speakers not only communicate with your network, but they also communicate with other speakers.

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.

• Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
  • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
  • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
  • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

If after rebooting your network and Sonos devices, you're still experiencing the same, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to by remotely connecting to your device to check what's going on and to provide the best option for you.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You need to ask the various music services to make their Search function work as you request. Sonos do not have access to your private playlists nor do they do the actual searching, it is all done by the SMAPI service implemented by each music service.

@controlav if I understand you correctly, this simply isn’t supported.  The API reference suggests that it should be possible, though: https://developer.sonos.com/build/content-service-add-features/add-search/#Multiple-Librarysearch . Are others able to search for their private playlists now, or do those services not support it?

@Rowena B. , rebooting did not solve the problem unfortunately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Exactly how Search works in a given music service is up to that music service. If they want to let you search your private playlists they can, but if they can’t be bothered to implement it then that is up to them.

Spotify does support this, i just tried it on my own. Tested with the PC S1 app and my own app.