Answered

Can I control ceiling speakers individually connected to the amp?

• 10 March 2019
  • 1 reply

Hi, I have a Sonos Amp connected under my TV. Down stairs I have 3 ceiling speakers (two in that room (Living Room) and one in the dining room) and one upstairs in the bathroom. They are wire connected. Great idea originally but now when someone downstairs is listening to music late at night everybody upstairs can hear the bathroom speaker. Is there any way of controlling the speakers individually? When I look at the Sonos app there is only one room (Living room) and this controls all the speakers at the same time.
So, Two questions.
1. Can the 4th speaker volume be controlled individually?
2. I guess if it can then I can assume it can also play something different than the downstairs speakers. e.g. TV Downstairs and music upstairs, or off upstairs if required.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers
icon

Best answer by pwt 10 March 2019, 12:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If you have one Amp, you only have a single pair of speaker outputs (Left/Right). So, it's clearly not possible to control separately the speakers attached to these outputs via the Sonos controller app.

It's possible you might be able to insert some form of volume control and on/off switching in the wiring between the Amp and your speakers, but this would be outside Sonos control. To control the speakers as different Sonos rooms, you'll need additional Amps, one per room that you want to control independently.

There are alternative solutions for multi-room amplification, including multi-channel amps with multiple Sonos Connects.