Answered

Can I connect a Sonos Beam to the HDMI ouptut of a BenQ WDP02 ?

• 25 February 2019
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I actually own a BenQ W1090 with a BenQ WDP02 (Wireless Video) and I plan to buy a Sonos Beam. Will I be able to connect it to the HDMI output of the WDP02 and have the sound from the video projector in my Sonos Beam ?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 25 February 2019, 16:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hello,

I actually own a BenQ W1090 with a BenQ WDP02 (Wireless Video) and I plan to buy a Sonos Beam. Will I be able to connect it to the HDMI output of the WDP02 and have the sound from the video projector in my Sonos Beam ?
No, I’m afraid not, as the Beam requires an HDMI-ARC connection and not just an HDMI OUT.
Hello,

No, I’m afraid not, as the Beam requires an HDMI-ARC connection and not just an HDMI OUT.

Thanks for your answer, but on the WIKI page of HDMI they say that HDMI 1.4 implement ARC. I can't find the version of HDMI used in the WDP02. I don't understand the use of an HDMI OUT then.
HDMI-ARC is supportted through HDMI 1.4 cables, yes, but that does not mean all devices support ARC. ARC stands for Audio Return Channel. It is used for video display devices (a TV) to send audio to a speaker device, like the beam. it is not using the same channels that send audio and video from a source to the TV.

The HDMI OUT on the WDP02 is standard HDMI sending audio and video to a display device, not ARC. It could be used if wanted to use a TV along with your projector. It could also could be used with an audio receiver designed to take in a normal HDMI audio signal.

I also noticed for the WDP02 specs that it supports an audio stream of "AC3 and DTS‎" I don't know if it means that it won't pass through dolby digital 5.1, what the Beam supports, but it's not a good sign.

I have to agree with Ken here. I would not think this would work as you want it to.
HDMI-ARC is supportted through HDMI 1.4 cables, yes, but that does not mean all devices support ARC. ARC stands for Audio Return Channel. It is used for video display devices (a TV) to send audio to a speaker device, like the beam. it is not using the same channels that send audio and video from a source to the TV.

The HDMI OUT on the WDP02 is standard HDMI sending audio and video to a display device, not ARC. It could be used if wanted to use a TV along with your projector. It could also could be used with an audio receiver designed to take in a normal HDMI audio signal.

I also noticed for the WDP02 specs that it supports an audio stream of "AC3 and DTS‎" I don't know if it means that it won't pass through dolby digital 5.1, what the Beam supports, but it's not a good sign.

I have to agree with Ken here. I would not think this would work as you want it to.

Thank you for these details hard ton find on the NET. What do you suggest then ? I Saw HDMI to HDMI ARC adaptators but maybe it's not the best. I have an Apple TV and a PS4 plugged to the BenQ WDP02.
You could try using an HDMI extractor, something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00BIQER0E/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=177230479572&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9027577&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=811505278376513500&hvtargid=kwd-30501978964&keywords=hdmi+extractor&qid=1551106609&s=gateway&sr=8-3&tag=googhydr-20

Connect an HDMI cable from the WDP02 out to the extractor HDMI input. Then an optical output to the Beam input (using the included (HDMI-ARC/optical adapter).