Answered

Can I connect a non-smart TV to Sonos One through a transmitter (or other means)?

• 7 November 2018
  • 2 replies

I have a Sonos One, NON-smart TV, and a TaoTronics Bluetooth 4.2 Transmitter and Receiver. Does anyone know if I can stream the audio from my TV to the sonos one through the TaoTronics or something similar? How?
icon

Best answer by John B 7 November 2018, 17:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Well, certainly not via the bluetooth transmitter. No Sonos devices have a bluetooth receiver for sound.

That being said, how do you have the bluetooth transmitter connected to your non-smart TV set? And how does your TV get the data you're trying to get through to the Sonos?

There's a couple of "needs investment" ways, though.

I believe (without going to check) that Bluetooth isn't 5.1, so you've only got a stereo signal. If you're willing to put up with the ~70ms delay, you could potentially connect your TV using some sort of audio output to either a PLAY:5 or directly to a CONNECT's line in, and get the sound to your Sonos One that way. But you'd need to purchase either a CONNECT or PLAY:5 for this.

Another way, assuming that your TV isn't the real tuner, and you're getting all of your data to it via HDMI (from cable box, game console, DVD/Blueray player, etc), then you could potentially get an HDMI switch with an optical output, and then purchase one of Sonos' soundbars, and connect them to that switch. Much less delay in that scenario, as the input is digital. But again, a purchase or two needed.

But there's no effective way in your current situation to get your TV's sound to that Sonos One. It's just not designed for that kind of use.
I cannot think of any way to do this. The answer would be the same if it were a Smart TV. Sonos doesn't do BlueTooth and your TV isn't an Airplay device.