Can I apple airplay to a 5.1 sonos playbar system ??


Badge +4
I have it linked up with an old amazon dot also if that would help...

8 replies

You could go down the route of 'grouping' the PlayBar room with a compatible Sonos AirPlay device, such as a Sonos One, for example. Simply play the AirPlay source to the Sonos One and the audio stream will play on the whole group.

Some users who do this, also set the 'volume limit' slider bar in the Sonos One room settings so that the streaming audio stays 'muted' snd will therefore just play on the PlayBar Room, including its surrounds. The 'volume limit' method is often better than just muting the Sonos One, but muting the device is an option too if you do not wish the audio to play on the Sonos One at the same time.
No, because the 'master' (the playbar) is not Airplay-enabled. And an Amazon Echo device can't do Airplay.
Badge +4
Ken_Griffiths wrote:

You could go down the route of 'grouping' the PlayBar room with a compatible Sonos AirPlay device, such as a Sonos One, for example. Simply play the AirPlay source to the Sonos One and the audio stream will play on the whole group.

Some users who do this, also set the 'volume limit' slider bar in the Sonos One room settings so that the streaming audio stays 'muted' snd will therefore just play on the PlayBar Room, including its surrounds. The 'volume limit' method is often better than just muting the Sonos One, but muting the device is an option too if you do not wish the audio to play on the Sonos One at the same time.



So would i group them in the apple home app or sonos app ?
Badge +2
Group them in the Sonos App.
Badge +4
Driver28 wrote:

Group them in the Sonos App.



Aah sounds like a bit of a hassle, would have to ungroup them after to get it back to the right rooms. Hopefully sonos will add the feature properly soon
chrisredmayne wrote:

Aah sounds like a bit of a hassle, would have to ungroup them after to get it back to the right rooms. Hopefully sonos will add the feature properly soon


No, they won't. It's technically not feasible.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/playbar-vs-playbase-in-an-airplay-2-compatible-home-theatre-setup-6799021/index1.html#post16240175
Badge +4
Driver28 wrote:

Group them in the Sonos App.



Aaaahhhh im being stupid i thought you meant group them as in add the speaker to the room... you mean air play to a play one then group to my playbar right!
chrisredmayne wrote:

Driver28 wrote:

Group them in the Sonos App.



Aaaahhhh im being stupid i thought you meant group them as in add the speaker to the room... you mean air play to a play one then group to my playbar right!


The other way around. ONE and Playbar have to be grouped first within the Sonos app.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en

Reply

    • :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

    Cookie policy

    We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

    Accept cookies Cookie settings