Question

Can an old Samsung TV be connected to a Sonos Beam?

• 28 November 2019
  • 3 replies

Our Samsung TV model is LE32R51B. We are using the only HDMI port to connect to a computer, which is the current source of movies and music. We want to know if it is possible to connect a Sonos Beam to this type of TV and if a optical fibre adapter is included on the product?

The TV ports are these:

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You would certainly need an RCA Analog to Optical digital converter just to get 'stereo' TV audio out to the Beam. If it were me I would not bother, as you perhaps could get reasonable sound with a cheaper PCM stereo soundbar instead. The TV is rather old (14 years +), so I would maybe look to upgrade the TV first. 

Perhaps now is the time whilst the current Black Friday sales are still on.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Another option - if the PC has an optical audio port, then you could use that with the optical adapter,  Not sure if you’d get lip sync issues or not.

I would go with an HDMI switch with an optical output port, and insert it between your sources and TV. There are many threads about these in the Home Theater section of the forum.