Buy a Play1 still worth it?

• 1 September 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hi all
There is a nice promotion in Italy this weekend of 18% discount on some Sonos, not the one but the play 1.
Because it is very old hardware, so you think is still worth buying the Play1 or wait for a promotion on the one and do you think the one is better for the future?

By now I am not very interested in smart functionalities, also because Alexa is still not present in Italy.

I am afraid that the play 1 will soon lose value compared to the one.

Anybody can help?

Thank you
Camillo

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I just bought two Play 1s, I don't want any system with a live mike in my house unless it has a hardware off switch.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I just bought two Play 1s, I don't want any system with a live mike in my house unless it has a hardware off switch.

I am worried it could be put out of support like the CR100 remote because of the old hardware.
I’d think that possibility to be extraordinarily remote. They’re much less specialized than the CR100 was.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm a lot more worried about loss of support for things Sonos no longer sells than things they are still supporting. I'll add the Play 1 to my worry list about 10 years after they quit selling it. I just added my pair of Play 3s to that list along with my really old ZP80s and Gen 1 Play 5s.

If I get 10 years out of my new Play 1s from today I'll be happy, but it is likely to be a lot more than that.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I'm a lot more worried about loss of support for things Sonos no longer sells than things they are still supporting. I'll add the Play 1 to my worry list about 10 years after they quit selling it. I just added my pair of Play 3s to that list along with my really old ZP80s and Gen 1 Play 5s.

If I get 10 years out of my new Play 1s from today I'll be happy, but it is likely to be a lot more than that.

I am still asking myself if 150€ today are worth 10 years old hardware...
The price isn't changed in years, but the value is less compared with new speakers.
Maybe also the speaker quality of the One is better with new materials...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I find just the opposite the Play 1 is a good value to me but the Sonos One is a non-starter due to the microphone not having a physical disconnect.

I have no clue about the internals of the Play 1, Sonos may have been quietly making internal changes over the years, someone else might have an answer to that.