Bridge/Boost and Airplay 2

• 25 February 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +3
My system includes a Sonos Bridge. I like having separate networks for my Sonos and non-Sonos Wi-Fi traffic. Perhaps this is a stupid question, but here goes. If I send ITunes music from my Mac via AirPlay 2 to Sonos One or Play:5 speakers, which network will the data traverse?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Can you clarify your network setup a little bit better? if your mac and Sonos bridge (effectively creating the Sonos network) are connected to the same network, than you'll be able to use airplay to both Sonos speakers. To answer your question though, both your standard wifi and Sonos network will be used. The signal will travel through wifl (assume your mac is using wifi) to the bridge, and then by sonos network to the sonos speakers.
It isn't a stupid question at all. The one misconception in it is that SonosNet is a separate network. It isn't. Your LAN has two wireless segments, a WiFi segment and a SonosNet segment, bridged by the Ethernet connection.

As with all data in a SonosNet setup, Airplay traffic between the wireless Sonos players would use SonosNet. Traffic between other devices would use WiFi.