Question

Blu Ray Issuel

• 8 December 2019
  • 7 replies

Sony Blu ray player set to PCM, linked to LG B9 Oled tv via hdmi. HDMI set to PCM, TV set to Dolby Digital. Sonos Beam linked to Tv via Arc input. No sound whatsoever from Beam when playing a blu ray disc. Have I done something wrong with this set- up not to be getting sound? All other input, Sky Q, Firestick, Netflix etc all work fine.  Any help appreciated.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You need to set the BR player to emit DD, not PCM or DD+ or DTS. DD is the only option that will work.

SteveDB66,

If you can set the BR player to Dolby Digital like controlav suggests. On the LG TV turn on both Simplink and auto power sync. Set the audio output to HDMI in the Sound Settings and set the HDMI-ARC port to 'pass-thru’.

Thanks for the info guys, I have tried everything you’ve suggested but unfortunately still no sound. I only have an option for ‘auto’ or ‘PCM’ on the blu ray player and I’ve tried both, perfect  picture but no sound. And I’ve tried all the various ‘pass-through, pcm, auto options for the HDMI input on tv very frustrating. Thanks anyway. 

Thanks for the info guys, I have tried everything you’ve suggested but unfortunately still no sound. I only have an option for ‘auto’ or ‘PCM’ on the blu ray player and I’ve tried both, perfect  picture but no sound. And I’ve tried all the various ‘pass-through, pcm, auto options for the HDMI input on tv very frustrating. Thanks anyway. 

Try a different cable and perhaps goto the Beam Room Settings in the Sonos App and toggle 'off’ and 'on’ the 'Autoplay' feature and ensure it’s also set it to ‘ungroup on Autoplay’ .. both settings should be 'on' by default.

If that doesn’t solve it, then click the TV icon in the Browse Tab in the App.

Thanks Ken, tried your suggestions but still no joy. I might consider changing my blu ray player as it’s about 6 years old, however I would love to know if anyone else is running an LG Oled B9 TV linked to a Beam and is successfully getting sound from the Beam when they play a disc. If so, what is the make and model of the blu ray player, as I would hate to splash out on a new one and find I still have the same compatibility issues. Many thanks all.

Badge

Possibly try a different Blu-ray Disc. I have Star Wars Force Awakens and all soundtracks are output in DTS, which I don’t believe is compatible with Beam. So I can’t get sound from this disc to my Beam as my player can’t convert DTS to a suitable output for the Beam. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The Xbox can play BRs and will transcode audio to DD 5.1, as it looks like your Sonos player cannot.