Answered

Google Assistant voice calls on Beam

• 29 May 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi All,

Is it real that Sonos Beam can’t support voice call with Google Assistant?

It’s simply unbelievable that I need to verify this myself in a Sonos forum.

Many thanks,

Ken

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 29 May 2020, 07:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

That’s correct, none of the Sonos devices can be used to connect with a phone call. 

That’s correct, none of the Sonos devices can be used to connect with a phone call. 

wow wow.. that is unbelievable… my Google Nest Hub which I got for free from signing up my Internet can do that...

It may be an issue with the Sonos, or it could be a feature that Google holds back from third party devices in order to sell their own. We don’t know, but I’m happy you already have a device that can fulfill this need for you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Personally, I’d prefer not to see voice call capability on my Sonos devices.

What would happen if someone calls me when I’ve got music playing throughout the house to all speakers? Would they all “ring” to notify me of the call, or just one of them? Would the call then be grouped to all speakers, or just one? Which one? If I chose to take the call on just one speaker, could anyone with a controller group another speaker to the one on the call and eavesdrop?

The software development to cater for all these types of situations, and being able to select them according to household preferences for different calls/callers seems quite extensive.

Hi All,

Is it real that Sonos Beam can’t support voice call with Google Assistant?

It’s simply unbelievable that I need to verify this myself in a Sonos forum.

Many thanks,

Ken

The Sonos Beam is a voice enabled speaker. It doesn't purport to be a full Amazon Echo or Google Assistant device. I am surprised at your surprise. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Google Assistant branding unfortunately brings along the expectation that it can do everything a Google Home or Hub (or a competitor) can do.  In the end, it is just the voice assistant part.  All the other features that come with the expectation are different technologies that don’t live under the Google Assistant umbrella.