Question

Beam/Sub/One Sl for music

• 2 December 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi, 

I’m new to the forum. Thanks for fielding my question. 

I have a Beam for the tv and it works well. It’s not bad for music, but I’d like to improve its breadth and depth. 

I know a lot of people would say for music, two Fives would be the best combination. But, I already have a Beam, and the Sub and One SL is currently on sale in Australia, where I live. It would be cheaper for the Sub and two One SL’s to add to the Beam than to buy two Five’s.  

I know a Sub with Ones would not produce the mid range for music that Fives would.  But, would the Beam do a good job at this role, while the Sub takes the bass and the Ones take the higher frequencies?

In a Beam/Sub/One SL combination, would the Sub take over the bass frequencies from the Beam (leaving it free for midrange) and the Beam leave higher frequencies to a pair of One SL’s? Or, does it not work this way?

Does anyone use this combination for music?

Thanks. 

6 replies

In a Beam/Sub/One SL combination, would the Sub take over the bass frequencies from the Beam (leaving it free for midrange) and the Beam leave higher frequencies to a pair of One SL’s? Or, does it not work this way?

Does anyone use this combination for music?

Thanks. 

It doesn’t work that way.  With a  5.1 setup, you have the option of having your SLs be silent while playing music, or in ‘full’ mode where they play the same left and right channel audio that you hear from the beam, same frequency range.   The positive from this setup is that it’s cheaper then getting Fives, as you pointed out, and you do improve the audio, at least in my opinion.  You get better stereo separation, however you don’t have the sound stage with all the stereo audio coming from the front.  

I have my bedroom setup like this.  However, since I don’t watch TV much there, I’ve considered splitting up the system and using the  Ones +Sub as  room for music only, with the beam just for TV.  In my my main living area, I have an Arc+ sub + Ones for TV and a separate pair of play:3s in the attached kitchen.  For music, I always use the play:3s and sometimes the Arc.

Thanks Melvinbie for your reply. You have a lot of knowledge about the Sonos range and how they work together. 

In summary, do you think I should continue with the purchase of the Sub and One SL’s to go with the Beam I already have, to use as a music set up in my medium size lounge room or should I abandon that purchase and save up for a pair of Fives?

Thanks, Josh. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Does Sonos offer a free home trial in Australia? If so, buy ‘em and try ‘em and decide which you prefer - or will compromise on when factoring in cost. If it’s the Ones, keep them. If it’s the Fives, start saving. 

Hi all,  

I have somewhat of an odd situation I. Relation to the Beam/One SL/Sub set up. I have a Loving Room with a pocket door to a foyer to the right and a Kitchen to the rear. Above the opening between the Living Room/Kitchen I have a Beam underneath a projector with a Roku, Sony Blu Player, Apple TV and an old WDTV. In the living room I have a pair of One SLs in the lower corners of a picture window. I just purchased a Sub Gen III and it is in the upper left corner of the living room. At present I have the sub hooked up to the pair of One SLs. I am thinking about doing the surround with the Beam/Ones and adding the sub. Other than this becoming one room would anything else change?  I.e. since the ones are in the front I would like them to have full volume. Thanks for any responses. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

The Beam can only be configured as the front channels, and the Ones will carry the surround sounds. You can’t select a different speaker arrangement. There are volume controls to let you increase/decrease the level at which the surrounds play relative to the Beam. 

Thanks Nik,

I was hoping there might have been a way for them to play at the same level. I will probably keep my One SL/Sub paired and just have the Beam for the TV sound and combine them when I want.