Beam Sound Quality

Badge +1
Am I the only one completely underwhelmed by the Beam's sound quality when playing music. TV speech quality good, but for music I don't think it even matches a Play 1.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, tonyskier. Audio is subjective, though this is the first feedback of this nature that I have heard (read). Can you please tell me if you have True Played or EQ'd your device? What is the source of the audio? Many thanks.
Badge +1
Hi, Edward. I agree it's subjective. I haven't True Played the Beam - currently I'm lacking an Apple device. But I have EQ'd it and altering the Bass and Treble make little discernible difference, especially the bass where the difference from one end to the other is virtually nothing. Maybe I have a Beam whereby the bass speakers aren't working as compared to my Play 1s and Play 3 the bass is non existent. Thanks Tony
Badge +1
The Topic "Beam impressions from Sonos Berlin store" also seems to bear out my comments about bass and that the Beam is not living up to the hype of most reviews. I'll make a final judgement when I've True Played it, but I'm 99% sure I'll be returning the product. It simply isn't up to the usual Sonos sound quality.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
I think it sounds okay so far but i made another post to make the point that there is literally no stereo sound in it despite reviews stating this and the sonos promotion pushing how the speakers go off to the side
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Tony. That's fair enough, I completely understand your wishes to return it. Do let me know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Chrisredmayne, it does have a narrower stereo-image than some of our wider soundbars, though I must say, in my (admittedly somewhat limited) testing of the device, I found the separation to be decent. Particularly for a device with its footprint. Again, opinions differ when it comes to this sort of thing. I don't know if you're a fan of Pink Floyd, but I heard the track "Money" on it and was quite impressed.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Hi, Tony. That's fair enough, I completely understand your wishes to return it. Do let me know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Chrisredmayne, it does have a narrower stereo-image than some of our wider soundbars, though I must say, in my (admittedly somewhat limited) testing of the device, I found the separation to be decent. Particularly for a device with its footprint. Again, opinions differ when it comes to this sort of thing. I don't know if you're a fan of Pink Floyd, but I heard the track "Money" on it and was quite impressed.

Ill give it a listen tonight , my testing was mainly on bjork hunter which sounds amazing on a stereo pair of play one's.... maybe its takimg time to tune to the room a bit too ??
chrisredmayne,

My new Beam is very impressive and I can easily hear the bass change with the EQ slider, moving it from one side to the other, so I was wondering if your device might have a fault. It’s certainly on par, I would say with two play-1’s, or Sonos One's, if not better, albeit less stereo separation.

I have also opted to create a 5.0 surround setup, using two older Play-1’s and that is just excellent in my dining room. In fact it’s probably too much for the room, but I love it.

I’m wondering if it’s worth submitting a diagnostic report to Sonos Support Staff, to see if your device is performing as it should be?
maybe its takimg time to tune to the room a bit too ??
No reason for that to be the case, for sure.
Badge +1
I tried Money by Pink Floyd - poor stereo separation, certainly nothing to be impressed about. I have already submitted diagnostics and I'm told nothing is wrong.
Like Ken Griffiths, I'm coming round to the possibility that I have a defective unit as I simply can't believe that Sonos has made such a poor product.
It's only 25" wide. Even with all the acoustic tricks in the world, you can't beat physics.
Badge +1
It's not the stereo separation as such, more the poor sound quality - it doesn't come anywhere near Sonos' normal standard.
As mentioned earlier please read the Topic "Beam impressions from Sonos Berlin store". Which bears out my comments.
I tried Money by Pink Floyd - poor stereo separation, certainly nothing to be impressed about.

It's not the stereo separation as such, more the poor sound quality - it doesn't come anywhere near Sonos' normal standard.

Forgive me if I replied to the post that claimed it had poor stereo separation instead of the one that said it's not the stereo separation. :8
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I’ll weigh in and say I think the Beam sounds great for what it is. I have it set up with a couple Play 1s for surround, tuned it with True Play and cranked the bass four or five clicks to the right in the app. If you’re into heavy bass, you’re going to be disappointed without a sub. The bass is adequate, not overwhelming. Overall, I’m happy with it.

For comparison, I bought a Yamaha YAS-107 Soundbar thinking I might return the Beam and save a couple hundred bucks, but the Beam won and the Yamaha is going back.

You’ve got to play with it a bit to get the sound you’re looking for. If it still doesn’t sound good to you, maybe the extra cash for a Playbar is the way to go. I’m hoping Sonos will add a smaller sub to the lineup at some point, something to match up with the smaller speakers.
Badge +1
I have now tuned it with True Play and there's some improvement. I still maintain that by the high standards set by Sonos this is a mediocre product - probably the worst in their range. I will persevere a while longer, but I suspect my initial reaction, that I will be returning the product is what I will regretably do.
Badge +1
After more perseverance, regretably I have not changed my original opinion and today have returned my Beam to Sonos.
The functionality can not be faulted, but the sound quality is simply not what I've come to expect from Sonos.?
I agree, heard one in a store and was disappointed with the Beam, thought it was faulty! I went and did a demo in a local store, once again really disappointed with the sound quality for vocals and especially stereo.
Now I have finally found someone else with the same opinion despite all the rave reviews I will be purchasing a couple of ones and a sub 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
It's a soundbar. If you depend on any soundbar for music quality you will be dissapointed including those that cost a lot more than the Beam.
Your best bet is to get rear ones and set them to full so ou get most of the music form the rear.
The sub makes it sound really great.
However Sonos needs to make it so the front is completely off for music and I have no idea why they haven't done that yet especially since so many people ask for it.
Badge +1
I have mixed feelings about the music playing abilities of the Beam. Sometimes it’s quite impressive, and at other times I’ve been thinking something sounded off. Then I finally found a song where I could easily identify and reproduce a section where my Beam falls flat.

Someone please try the song “Hope She’ll Be Happier” by Bill Withers and listen at 2:37 in (this is the song in the Bill Withers Essentials playlist on Apple Music). When he hits a certain pitch and holds it for a while, the sound starts to get very distorted. I’ve played this section at about 50% volume.

Do you guys hear this as well, or does it sound fine on your end?