Answered

Beam and Samsung TV audio sync issues

• 19 March 2019
  • 7 replies

I recently purchased a Beam to use with my Samsung UE40NU7120K and I am having problems with audio not in sync with visual when using Dolby Digital and Bitstream as set up on TV. This is using HDMI ARC. I know there have been a lot of posts on here concerning this but haven't seen a definitive response from Sonos. I can get it to sync if I switch audio to PCM but is this inferior sound? If I want to extend my Sonos system will I always have to use PCM and not the better quality Dolby? Is there anything else I can try? I'm still within the 100 day return window so might consider changing to a rival soundbar from Bose as I haven't seen issues with them.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 19 March 2019, 12:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

The Beam can only play the audio when the TV itself passes the audio stream to it. There are a good many TV's that pass that audio in good time and there are one or two models that cannot process a 5.1 stream quickly enough to keep the audio in sync with its own video, particularly if the stream is passing through from one HDMI port and out to another.

Some users have resolved such issues with updates to a later version of their TV firmware. Some have resolved it by switching off enhanced audio features, such as Dialog Clarity, 3D audio, TruSurround HD etc. Some have found the audio 'pass-thru' to their TV optical port is slightly faster too, for some reason.

So it maybe case of trying some, or all, of those things to see if it fixes your lip-sync issues. I would start by switching off any Samsung’s enhanced TV audio features.
Thanks Ken_Griffiths I'll have a look in the TV menu but from what I noticed before there were not many options. It seems that £399 is a lot for something I won't be able to use ARC benefits. My TV is quite a basic model and it's probably more a Samsung issue. But no point keeping the Beam if it doesn't work properly with it.
I would also try experimenting with optical output from the TV, via the Beam's optical-to-HDMI dongle. If that Samsung's anything like mine the optical can be moved forward somewhat -- i.e. ahead of the picture -- and can help compensate for any additional delay.
Thanks ratty. Is the optical-to-hdmi dolby digital?
Thanks ratty. Is the optical-to-hdmi dolby digital?
Yes it will support DD. You can always check what the Beam's receiving, by looking in Settings/About My Sonos System.
Thanks Ken_Griffiths I'll have a look in the TV menu but from what I noticed before there were not many options. It seems that £399 is a lot for something I won't be able to use ARC benefits. My TV is quite a basic model and it's probably more a Samsung issue. But no point keeping the Beam if it doesn't work properly with it.Yes, I understand and sympathise with your viewpoint, some TV's just can’t process the internal audio stream quickly enough, some older TV models will not even pass-through a 5.1 audio stream.

There are workarounds and that is to get an audio extractor/switch. Then instead of cabling the video source to pass-through the TV, you cable it direct to the audio extractor instead. Then cable the TV and Beam to that switch.

I’ve never tried these things myself, but many users here in the community use that method to by-pass their TV and I believe it works well in almost all cases.

These are two links to products I have found in other threads here, but you may want to research this further before deciding to go down that road. It’s not something I’m am too familiar with myself...

https://www.amazon.com/NewBEP-Switcher-Selector-Extractor-Splitter/dp/B07438WJ8G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1516805336&sr=8-7&keywords=hdmi+extractor+with+remote

https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-Extractor-Splitter-Amplifier/dp/B07D9BNVM1/ref=sr_1_21_sspa?crid=2H5SK9HIM3IHE&keywords=hdmi+audio+splitter+extractor&qid=1551210192&s=gateway&sprefix=hdmi+audio+splitter%2Caps%2C608&sr=8-21-spons&psc=1
jonezeeee,

You will need to look for an audio extractor/splitter that supports Dolby Digital 5.1 output. I think that’s fairly obvious and I’ve seen that mentioned in a few threads. I just wanted to add I’m not recommending either of the two products in those links in my earlier post, so treat them just as examples.