Answered

beam and one pairing

• 10 April 2019
  • 8 replies

i have a ONE speaker connecting my laptops around the rooms. I find i cannot play the audio from TV with the speaker.
because i am thinking to buy the beam, i would like to check if i can use them paired for these purposes:
-playing music from laptop with ONE/beam/ONE+beam
-playing videos from TV with audio output with ONE/beam/ONE+beam

thanks
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 10 April 2019, 14:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi raydiohead

You cannot Pair a Beam and a Sonos One. You can Group them. Click the link on how to Group: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3391?language=en_US

FYI, you can only Pair speakers of the same family_for example you can pair a Play 1 to Play 1 or Sonos One to Sonos One and so forth with other like Sonos speakers.

To be clear you cannot pair a Beam, Playbar or Playbase. Click the link on how to Pair: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1066?language=en_US

Cheers!
my TV is not digital and operates through a Panasonic receiver/recorder - will the beam connect through HDMI through the Panasonic?
Userlevel 7
Hi kcd6915

Please post the brand and model numbers of the equipment you mentioned in your post. Thanks!

Cheers!
I have a Samsung Plasma PS42C7SX accessing digital through my Panasonic DMR PWT 550 - I will eventually update TV but would prefer to invest in sound now which I can still use later. My music system is in another room and is driven through my Onkyo TX NR676E which intend to use a Sonos Connect to link music through Sonos speakers throughout the house. I'm thinking Beam and a pair of play 1's connected to the TV.
Userlevel 7
Hi kcd6915

I tried to research your Samsung TV but could not find a picture of the connections available to you. So with that said I must assume (based upon your post) your TV only has one (1) HDMI input and no optical or coaxial output for audio.

The lone HDMI input for your TV is being utilized by your Panasonic DMR PWT 550 HDMI output (see inset).

In order to utilize the Beam you would have to use a converter similar to what is shown in the link. The connections would be:

1. HDMI-Out from Panasonic to HDMI-In of the converter
  2. HDMI-Out from converter to HDMI-In on Samsung
  3. Optical-Out from the converter using the Optical adapter (supplied with the Beam) connected to one end of the HDMI cable; also supplied with the Beam
  4. The remaining end of the HDMI cable connected to the Beam
  5. You would need to be able to turn off the Samsung's internal speakers
Assuming the Panasonic will send DD5.1 audio you could use Play:1 x 2 as surrounds bonded to the Beam. You could use them even if the Panasonic doesn't send DD5.1 although all audio would be in stereo. The upside is that for music the Play:1's can be set to act as a FULL On stereo pair. The switch between TV/Movie audio (ambient) to music Full On would be automatic.

Your remote would also have to be InfraRed (IR) in order for the Beam to learn volume up/down commands. Given the age of your TV it's mostly IR.

I hope this answers your question. Sorry for the 13 hour delay.

Cheers!

https://www.amazon.com/AMANKA-Extractor-Converter-Splitter-Blue-ray/dp/B07BBK9WFF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=MYI2O1WPV2C1&keywords=hdmi+to+optical+audio+adapter&qid=1559049013&s=gateway&sprefix=hdmi+to+opt%2Caps%2C150&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Thanks for the info (timing isn't urgent - good info is 🙂 ) - very helpful - here is the rear panel for ref - - another ? - if I group beam and Play's wil they all play music if I group Beam and Onkyo through Sonos connect?

Userlevel 7
- if I group beam and Play's will they all play music if I group Beam and Onkyo through Sonos connect?

Hi kcd6915

When you use the term "group" what you are suggesting is that the Play 1's are not being used as surrounds but as stand-alone speakers or as a stereo pair. You are also indicating that you have a Sonos Connect aligned to your Onkyo to send music to Sonos that originates from a source connected to the Onkyo such as a TT or CD player. By the same token you are also using (or could use) the Sonos Connect to send audio via the Sonos app to speakers connected to the Onkyo.

As all appear to be stand-alone's ((i.e. Beam, Play 1's and Sonos Connect w/Onkyo) the answer is "Yes" you can group any combination of the speakers and Sonos Connect to play music.

Note: If you were to "bond" the Play 1's to the Beam (as surrounds) you could still group the Beam and Play 1's as a unit to the Sonos Connect and vise-versa.

I hope this answers your question. Cheers!
Great info - Thanks - now to find a supplier who I can afford to buy from:)
cheers -