Beam 5.1 with Sony A8F and youtube

• 14 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Equipment:
* 2018 Sony A8F (https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/a8f-series)
* Sonos Beam
* Sonos sub
* 2 Sonos One as rear surround
* Connected via HDMI ARC on input 3 of the Sony TV
* Xbox One X

Software:
* Android TV (7.x)
* Youtube

I have the equipment and software described above and I AM able to experience Dolby Digital 5.1 from Netflix on my Sony Android TV app, However I am only getting stereo input sent to the Sonos Beam from:
* The Sony Android TV youtube app when running every type of Dolby Digital surround test
* From the Xbox One X

I've tried sound set to Auto 1 and Auto 2 on the Sony, but this doesn't change things. On the Xbox, I have it set to output Dolby Digital 5.1.

I've looked through these forums and didn't get a quick answer. The biggest thing I've determined is that the Beam only supports PCM and 5.1 (not DD+, Atmos, DTS, DTS:X). Of course 5.1 is all it can support in this set up, but I can't seem to figure out how to force the Sony to passthrough 5.1 or to convert youtube content to 5.1. Can somebody please help?

I've found that the TV is independently reported as supporting all these passthrough formats: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/5-1-surround-audio-passthrough

I should note that I went all in with Sonos on Black Friday after ridiculous amounts of research. I decided to get rid of my receiver and wired surround system so that I could have a nice whole home system. Going from no Sonos to having all of the above, a Play 5, and two more Sonos One speakers was a serious investment that I have plans for extending. I'm happy with the sound quality of the system from Netflix, but this downconversion of all other formats to stereo is absolutely unacceptable and buyers remorse is starting to set in.

I have Bestbuy elite status, so I have two more weeks before I can no longer return all of these. I don't want to, but if I can't get this solved before then I might have to return it all and go for the recently announced at CES Klipsch soundbars or the Harmon Kardon citation series. They have support for so many more inputs and audio formats which that it is getting extremely difficult for me to overlook the audio format shortcomings of the Beam even though I love the Sonos app functionality. With Alex / Google supporting dynamic groups, it becomes even more difficult to overlook.

So, please help me to get this configured so that I can keep my setup!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I take it you have set the Xbox audio out settings to bitstream and Dolby over HDMI... does that stream then pass through the TV to your Beam? If so, your TV may not be processing the signal correctly. The HDMI output/input sometimes defaults to what signal was 'first received' between the two devices. So disconnecting the hdmi cable to the Xbox and leaving it for 30 seconds, power off both TV and Xbox and then bring them back online and stream a 5.1 DD signal as you connect it back to the TV may switch the connection and it may then continue to process things correctly as Dolby 5.1. It’s worth trying, at least.

Secondly, are you saying the built in Netflix App on the TV is working fine for DD 5.1, but that the built in YouTube App on the TV is in stereo... if so, i would speak to the Sony customer support desk via their online chat system and ask them about that issue.. that must be a YouTube App issue, surely?
Thanks, I'll try disconnecting all those tonight. I have a Sony with Android TV 7 (same as this one) in my other room going through a receiver and the YouTube app definitely does 5.1 there.
Thanks, I'll try disconnecting all those tonight. I have a Sony with Android TV 7 (same as this one) in my other room going through a receiver and the YouTube app definitely does 5.1 there.Perhaps check the version of the YouTube App, just in case. The Beam will only ever play what audio stream that the TV passes through the port to it. It does not process the audio itself, it simply plays whatever format it receives.
The A8F definitely should pass DD5.1 through it’s ports according to this review (see attached screenshot). The fact it is working with the in-built Netflix App shows that all is working, I think you will have to speak to Sony re the in-built YouTube App outputting just a PCM stereo audio stream.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos’ decision to not let the Beam act as a hub to all things HDMI-related makes it’s costumers very dependant on how their TV manufacturers implement passthrough. Not everything works as you would expect. Maybe for your Xbox you can look for the solutions mentioned here: https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/questions-over-getting-5-1-pcm-lpcm-dts-etc-6765325/index1.html#post16299810 No guarantees though......