Beam 2 or Arc for my setup

• 11 January 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi guys, looking for some help….I currently have the beam 2 paired to a sonos amp which is powering two rear ceiling integrated speakers (not sonance), I am considering purchasing a sub to make it a 5.1 setup. Is there a way I can use the two ceiling speakers powered by the amp as height channels for dolby atmos, to create a 5.1.2 setup, as they are currently setup as LS & RS?

Second question I like the idea of changing the beam for the arc, and using the beam elsewhere, the issue I have is it would be on a shelf within my tv cabinet below the tv. Currently works fine with the beam as that has forward facing speakers, but my obvious concern is whether the upfiring and side firing speakers on the arc would ruin the sound being within a cabinet? There is plenty of space to accommodate the arc with sufficient room around it, and the front of the cabinet is covered by a speaker mesh grill…here it is for reference https://www.optimumproject.co.uk/products/pro1300f ..would trueplay for instance turn off the side firing and up firing speakers if it detected the sound wasn’t right?

Is there much point changing the beam, will adding just the sub be enough to put a smile on my face? :-)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

​​​​​​No, the only height channel option Sonos offers is the Sonos Arc.

I don’t believe your cabinet will work with the Arc, even with Trueplay tuning. Sonos recommends at least 1 foot of space on either side of the Arc for the side-firing drivers. The cabinet will only leave about 3 inches on each side. The upward firing drivers will probably be blocked too. I would just stick with the Beam and add the Sub to your current setup.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi

Is there a way I can use the two ceiling speakers powered by the amp as height channels for dolby atmos, to create a 5.1.2 setup, as they are currently setup as LS & RS?

Short answer is ‘no’!

Second question I like the idea of changing the beam for the arc, and using the beam elsewhere, the issue I have is it would be on a shelf within my tv cabinet below the tv. Currently works fine with the beam as that has forward facing speakers, but my obvious concern is whether the upfiring and side firing speakers on the arc would ruin the sound being within a cabinet? There is plenty of space to accommodate the arc with sufficient room around it, and the front of the cabinet is covered by a speaker mesh grill…here it is for reference https://www.optimumproject.co.uk/products/pro1300f ..would trueplay for instance turn off the side firing and up firing speakers if it detected the sound wasn’t right?

It wouldn’t be worth the cost of the Arc if it was to be placed in a cabinet IMHO - you’d lose the ATMOS upward firing speakers as well as the side ones.  The Arc needs to be at least 4 inches below any obstruction and be outside of any cabinet.

Thanks for the quick reply!!! Yeah this was my reasoning to buy the beam 2 in the first place, with all the speakers forward facing the cabinet isn’t a problem…I’m just annoyed my wife wanted me to hide the thing…she hates soundbars despite our LG C1 tv speakers being crap :thinking:  that cabinet was a bit of a compromise. 

The only thing I was thinking with the arc is the upfiring speakers look like they are orientated more forward and up than straight upfiring, so they would possibly avoid being distorted by the cabinet, its just the side firing ones that I think would ruin it…id want to turn them off.

Is it still the case that my ceiling speakers wouldn’t be able to be used as height channels if I replaced them with the sonance ceiling speakers? Could I achieve a 7.1.2 setup with a pair of 1s as well?

Userlevel 7

If you place the Arc on the very edge of the shelf, the two upward-firing drivers might clear the top shelf, but it would be very close.

How tall are your ceilings? Are they flat and without obstruction?

You cannot turn off the side-firing drivers.

You cannot use in-ceiling speakers as height channels with a Sonos home theater setup. The only height channel option is the Sonos Arc. And you can only add two surround speakers. The maximum setup with the Arc is a 5.2.2 setup (with two Subs - one must be a Gen 3). The maximum setup with the Beam is a 5.2 setup.

Ceilings are about 3-4m, flat without obstruction. photos attached.

It’s a shame the arc can only do the height channels when I have two ceiling speakers ready to go…and they are bowers and wilkins :-)

I might just buy the sub then, unless its possible to use the AMP/Ceiling speakers as height channels with a different brand of soundbar / sub setup? I’m guessing sonos only works with sonos though right?

Userlevel 7

Sonos only works with Sonos.

At 3-4 meters, your ceilings might be a little too tall to hear the height channels anyway. Ideally your ceilings should be at 2.5-3 meters tall with a seating distance of 1.5-2.5 meters.

I would definitely stick with the Beam and add the Sub. I think you will be pleased with the overall sound even without height channels.

With that floor, if you don’t already have one, I would also add a large rug to help with the acoustics of the room.