Question

bbc iplayer radio

Is it possible to open BBC radio iplayer from within the sonos controller?

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3
No.

It's a popular request due to the limitations of TuneIn for catch up on BBC.

Personally what I do is to download the podcast (mp3) to my music folder - Many can be downloaded direct from the BBC and there are other ways to get the download which I won't link to but you could Google.
Alternatively get a Sonos product with a Line-In (Connect, Connect:Amp or Play 5) and output from your phone or tablet.
Badge
As far as live radio is concerned, I suspect the BBC prefers to offer a minimal implementation via TuneIn, and is disinclined to integrate further with Sonos, in order to keep users within its own iPlayer ecosystem. For a workaround in order to get a 'Now Playing' function, I use the separate BBC Music app on my device, which lists tracks currently playing on the various BBC stations.
when will sonos interrogate with alexa
on YouTube it shows it working perfectly
How??
Mike_270 wrote:

when will sonos interrogate with alexa
on YouTube it shows it working perfectly
How??

The Alexa/Sonos implementation is being worked on now. The YouTube video was a demonstration of how it will work when it is released. Full release is scheduled for later this year.
Is the any likely hood id BBC iPlayer being available on Sonos?
Mike_270 wrote:

Is the any likely hood id BBC iPlayer being available on Sonos?

That is a question you have to ask the BBC. Sonos offers a free API for including a service in their app, or the new Direct Connect API for playing to Sonos from a 3rd party app. It is up to the service itself to take advantage of these API's, Sonos cannot unilaterally access their content.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)