Question

Battery Sonos Move

• 14 November 2019
  • 10 replies

Badge

Before i buy a move i want to know the price of a new battery.

Seems that nobody know's. I've asked in differend shop's and they don't know.

Who can help me.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

As I recall from questions at the time of the announcement of the Move, batteries aren’t yet available because no one will need one yet. To me - if that is correct - it implies a rather high price they don’t want to admit to yet, or they’d at least have given a rough indication. 

I think you’re right to wait! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Has anyone with a Move opened it up to see what the battery is? I’m assuming it will be a user-replaceable item. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Yes it’s a replaceable item and Sonos have said they will sell them.  Given how new the product is i doubt they anticipate anyone wanting a new on already.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Yes it’s a replaceable item and Sonos have said they will sell them.  Given how new the product is i doubt they anticipate anyone wanting a new on already.

Longer trips and no power source? It still shouldn’t stop them at least giving an indication of likely cost: they have a source for them. 

Badge

The price of the Move is already high 399,--

The charging loop about 80,-

The Move is the same as a One 220,--

Will the price be 100,-- then it will be my last buy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Longer trips and no power source? It still shouldn’t stop them at least giving an indication of likely cost: they have a source for them. 

I don’t think the battery is intended to be swapped out frequently. I understand that it’s behind a cover secured with screws.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The price of the Move is already high 399

I don’t disagree that the Move is expensive, but it’s also quite different to a One: physically bigger, different drive units, self-contained battery, Bluetooth, weather sealed, ...

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

From Gizmodo, 5-Sep-2019:

https://gizmodo.com/the-expensive-new-sonos-bluetooth-speaker-baffles-me-in-1837755368

“The Sonos Move’s battery, which also serves as its base and center of gravity, is easily replaceable, however. All it takes is a screwdriver and about five minutes. Sonos says the battery will need a refresh every three years but hasn’t revealed how much a replacement battery will cost.”

I don’t think you make that assumption.  As @pwt pointed out, the Move is not a Sonos One with a charger and battery added.  Even if it were, you can’t estimate the price of a product by stacking the price of it’s parts.  Profit margin that Sonos is looking for is going to vary from product to product, not a set percentage on every product.  It’s going to depend a lot of on demand and other factors.  As well, bundled products are going to tend to be cheaper than buying pieces separately.

I would assume that the cost of making a replacement battery is more expensive today than it would be a couple years for now.  Perhaps part of the reason Sonos isn’t given a price yet.   It’s also a good assumption that the majority of Move owners will need a battery, so they can get a better idea of demand for batteries when they have more info on Move sales...which will help set the right price.  In contrast, the charger isn’t a needed accessory, so it’s demand is different and will therefor priced differently.

So not helpful in answering the question,  and it’s clearly reasonable to want to know the battery costs before buying a Move, just some thoughts on why Sonos isn’t saying yet.

A bit old but thought I’d chime in. Were I to hazard a guess about this, iRobot is a similarly slightly premium brand. Their robot vacs have batteries of similar size that are rated for a similarly long time. Model depending, the costs for direct branded replacement range from $80-$130 - I’d wager the Move’s battery will be somewhere in that range. These prices have not changed much at all (have only gone up actually, though likely a response to increasing margin to compensate for the replacement sales loss to 3rd party battery replacements) and have remained within that range for the past 10 years or so that I’ve had a iRobot device.