Atmos & dts

• 7 May 2020
  • 7 replies

Will my sonos gen2 sub play 5 gen 2 playbase & 3 gen 2 ones get the full update in June???

Cheers Simon. 

7 replies

First of all, there is no DTS update. 

Second, the other devices lack the HDMI input (Playbase, Playbar) and/or upfiring speakers (Playbase, Playbar, Beam) required for Atmos.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

All your players are modern (not legacy) divices and so will benefit from S2-software. Since their hardware is not Atmos compatible, you will not get that. Sonos has not stated they will start to support DTS, so I certainly wouldn’t count on that…....

OK thanks. 

Is it worth having 2 play 5s as rear speakers instead of 1s as I don't find the surround sound that cleaver compared to my old Panasonic wired system???? 

OK thanks. 

Is it worth having 2 play 5s as rear speakers instead of 1s as I don't find the surround sound that cleaver compared to my old Panasonic wired system???? 

I would call it overkill.

Indeed. 

So how can I stop making it booming so much. 

When we watch a film I am constantly messing about with the setting as one minute it's quite then boom its to loud??? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

What you’re experiencing seems to be the intended dynamic range that the makers of movies created.

In the cinema, dialogue is well audible and loud scenes are always REALLY LOUD (as loud as a rock concert in the tenth row). 

That’s what you’re experiencing and should be experiencing!

To reduce the effect, you can enable speech enhancement and night mode simultaneously- it improves the situation and reduces dynamic range massively.

That's great thank you 👍👍