Arc + One SL’s + Third party sub with Amp

• 23 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi All,

I have searched nearly all the topics but cant find an answer  

I have Arc and 2 One SL’s as surrounds  running now. 
but i also have a SVS sub and a turntable that i want to add to the system. 
If i buy an Amp can i use like that:

1- Arc as front/center, One SL’s as surrounds and SVS sub with Amp on TV? I know that if i wire third party as surrounds i can not use my sub. But i will not wire as surrounds  or i will wire as a second option. 
2- I also have Dynaudio SP40’s. If i buy an Amp, can i use as a stereo setup by Amp with out using Arc and One SL’s? 

Or if i add Amp - wired SP 40’s as front; can i use Arc+One SL’s+ Sub + Sp’40’s at same time?

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

The Arc is not designed to work with a third-party subwoofer, even if it’s connected to a Sonos Amp. If you need a subwoofer for the Arc, your only option is to get a Sonos Sub.

I’ll let someone with more knowledge answer your second question.

If the Dynaudio speakers end up working with the Amp, you can group the Arc setup with the Amp in the Sonos app and play audio through all of your speakers. But you will experience a slight delay from the Amp when listening to TV audio. Music will be in sync.

Not easily, is the answer to your second question. You might potentially use an optical output from your TV to feed the adapter connected to your Arc for a 5.1 signal, but it would be up to the TV set to guaranty any kind of sync between the ARC output and the optical output. If the TV even allows both to be active, I think on some sets it is one or the other. 

To be honest, I’m not sure there’s any benefit to be had from running two parallel systems connected to a TV. At best, I suspect the sound stage would be severely muddied by the two competing attempts for Dolby Digital. And you wouldn’t be able to do Atmos at all. 

Thanks for replies. 
my main point is, using the SvS sub with Arc and One SL’s; also connect my turntable  

So if i can do that with an Amp; the second option will be an extra benefit for me to connect SP40’s as only a stereo system for music, not for Dolby Atmos. Cause i dont need Arc, SL’s and sub with SP40’s, it is enough for music. 
if i buy only Sonos sub at this point i have to buy a Port to connect my turntable again and with a port i dont think that i can connect SVS? 

You can not use the SVS sub with the Arc.

You can use the SVS sub with the Amp for your turntable, with the Sonos Amp powering the SP40s. However, if you try to set up the Amp as ‘surround’ speakers by pairing it with the Arc, the sub out port is turned off. 

What is the point of a Sonos Port? What speakers would the sound from a turntable connected to it be going to? Are you going to be getting the Arc and the Port? Does that mean your abandoning the Dynaudio speakers completely?

Sonos is designed to work in particular ways. Attempts to force it to fit in with existing equipment that it wasn't designed for usually produce unsatisfactory outcomes.

If you want an Arc-based HT system, forget your existing subwoofer. If you must use the existing subwoofer, lose the Arc. 

Ok i got it. There is no way to use SvS with Arc. 

If i cant use SvS with Arc, there is no need to buy an Amp. 
Cause of i want to use all my system with Arc; i will sell both Sp40s and Svs and buy a new Sonos Sub. Also i need to buy a Port for connecting turntable, am i right? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

To connect your turntable you have three options:

Port, Sonos Amp and Sonos Five/ Play 5 (Gen 2 as you will be on S2)

Thank you so much for your replies.