Answered

Apple Music starts on my iPad when I make Sonos changes

• 30 June 2020
  • 9 replies

The Apple Music program on my iPad sometimes starts when I make adjustments on Sonos (I.e. changing stations or settings).  This started soon after I installed Sonos 2.  It doesn’t happen at other times.

Why does this happen & how can I fix it?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 July 2020, 17:57

Next time, write down the diagnostic number. Then you can post it here if you can’t wait on the phone. The forum moderators are somewhat hamstrung by both the asynchronous nature of forum posts, and not being able to remote into your computer, so while they may be able to help in some cases, in others they just may suggest that you need to call in. 

Call volume is probably a bit higher at this moment, due to the fact that in the last several weeks they’ve released three new devices, and two new pieces of software, and cut back on some employees. 

View original

9 replies

This doesn’t make much sense to me. Sonos doesn’t communicate with the Music program on your device In any way, the speakers contact Apple’s servers directly. I think I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it. If there is some fashion in which the Sonos application, running on the speakers, is somehow touching the Apple program on your iPad, which it shouldn’t have any knowledge about, it may be in that diagnostic...but I doubt it will. Can’t hurt to ask the question, though. 

When you talk to the phone folks, there are more options available. They are available Monday through Friday during business hours.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

Bruce,

Thanks for the suggestions for following up.  I agree that it doesn’t make sense - I don’t even have Apple Music set as a music source for Sonos.  But after a half-dozen incidents, the pattern seems pretty clear.

Rich

Since (I am pretty sure) the Sonos software doesn’t have any knowledge of the local Apple software, I wonder if it’s due instead to the fact that both are connected to Apple’s servers. I guess your best bet is that diagnostic I suggested. 

It happened again, and I immediately submitted a diagnostic.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a way to contact customer support to tell them why I submitted it.  Chat wouldn’t open, for phone calls there was a warning about long hold times, and I couldn’t find an email address for support.  And, in the process of trying I lost the diagnostic reference number.

Any suggestions on how to proceed next time?  Is waiting in the phone queue my only option?

Thanks

Next time, write down the diagnostic number. Then you can post it here if you can’t wait on the phone. The forum moderators are somewhat hamstrung by both the asynchronous nature of forum posts, and not being able to remote into your computer, so while they may be able to help in some cases, in others they just may suggest that you need to call in. 

Call volume is probably a bit higher at this moment, due to the fact that in the last several weeks they’ve released three new devices, and two new pieces of software, and cut back on some employees. 

Thanks Bruce!

It didn’t take long for it to happen again.  This time I was browsing my Sonos music library on my iPad to choose another album to play on my Sonos’Play:5’.  While doing that, Apple Music (On my iPad) sprang to life and began playing.

The diagnostic number is “1528566210”. (I got a screen capture too, just to be sure I didn’t lose it. :-)

Liable to be less coverage today, being a holiday here in the US, but some of their staff work in other locales, so let’s see. 

It is a holiday weekend!

No particular rush - it’s a bit annoying, but not a big problem.