Antenna interference

Badge

Hi everyone. I have a Sonos Arc which I have recently paired with a Sonos sub gen3. 
There is a very annoying sound comming from the sub when the system is on but nothing playing. 
I have tried all the channels of my router but the noise is still there. I have tried to change the channel of the sub but the option seems to be innactive on the Sonos app. 
Any iddea of how to get rid of the noise apart from unplugging?

20 replies

Userlevel 7

You could be experiencing a ground loop problem. Try plugging the Sub into a different outlet or power strip.

Badge

You could be experiencing a ground loop problem. Try plugging the Sub into a different outlet or power strip.

Thank you for your answer. Did that, still no joy

Userlevel 7

If you move the Sub to a different room, do you still hear the noise? If so, you should try resetting the Sub by following the steps in this article and redoing the setup process:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

If resetting doesn’t work, I would contact Sonos Support:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Thank you for your answer. Did that, still no joy

Also, if you do perhaps have the option, maybe see if the noise you’re experiencing from the Sub goes away when you unbond it from the ARC and re-bond it with a different Sonos device/room.

If the noise goes away, then you may want to consider power-cycling the ARC aswell, before trying to bond it back.

Badge

If you move the Sub to a different room, do you still hear the noise? If so, you should try resetting the Sub by following the steps in this article and redoing the setup process:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

If resetting doesn’t work, I would contact Sonos Support:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

I’ll give it a try. Thank you

Does the level of this sound track the Volume control? Does the sound change if you reorient SUB slightly?

Badge

Sound does not change. It is not a constant sound. It is just as if it is picking up a radio wave

Badge

And, in the Sonos app, I do not get the option to change the sub channel, even if I hardwire the sub to the router

Other than WiFi devices, are you aware of any nearby radio transmitters?

If this is some sort of radio interference, physically moving SUB to another location will at least change the character of this interference. SUB uses a private 5GHz channel when Bonded with ARC. You have no control over this channel.

Likely there is a  hardware issue with SUB and you’ll need to work with SONOS support. 

Meanwhile, try using a high quality power line surge suppressor and keep SUB’s power cord bundled as short as possible. Older TV’s often included a “Ferrite Bead” and users were instructed to pass the TV’s power cord through this device. If you have one of these, clamp it over SUB’s power cord, close to the SUB end.

Badge +20

You may want to try pulling the power lead out of the Sub, rotating it 180 degrees, plug it back in and see if that helps with the noise.

Badge

You may want to try pulling the power lead out of the Sub, rotating it 180 degrees, plug it back in and see if that helps with the noise.

Thank you! Didn’t think of that, but I may as well give it a try.

Badge

Other than WiFi devices, are you aware of any nearby radio transmitters?

If this is some sort of radio interference, physically moving SUB to another location will at least change the character of this interference. SUB uses a private 5GHz channel when Bonded with ARC. You have no control over this channel.

Likely there is a  hardware issue with SUB and you’ll need to work with SONOS support. 

Meanwhile, try using a high quality power line surge suppressor and keep SUB’s power cord bundled as short as possible. Older TV’s often included a “Ferrite Bead” and users were instructed to pass the TV’s power cord through this device. If you have one of these, clamp it over SUB’s power cord, close to the SUB end.

There are no transmitters nearby. The noise is still there, no matter where I move it. If I stream music from the phone, it works perfectly well. On standby, I get the noise. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’d call Sonos on monday…..

If you reduce the Volume to zero or Mute the Room while music is playing do you have the noise?

Read through the footnotes here then wait for the system to enter idle mode. Do you hear any noise during idle?

Badge

If you reduce the Volume to zero or Mute the Room while music is playing do you have the noise?

Read through the footnotes here then wait for the system to enter idle mode. Do you hear any noise during idle?

With zero volume, noise is still there

Is the noise still present when SUB is in idle mode?

Badge

Is the noise still present when SUB is in idle mode?

Yes, it is

This suggests that there is a mechanical noise associated with the SUB power supply. Likely, this noise is still present while music is playing, but music masks the noise.

Badge

This suggests that there is a mechanical noise associated with the SUB power supply. Likely, this noise is still present while music is playing, but music masks the noise.

Yes. Given the facts, Sonos has concluded it should be replaced

Badge

I’d call Sonos on monday…..

I did. Thank you. Replacement