annoying things with Sonos

• 18 January 2020
  • 13 replies

Badge

I've found more than one thing that's extremely annoying when using Sonos.

1: 

If you are playing music from spotify and you have set the volume for different levels in each room and want to adjust the volume by turning the volume up or down it will set the volume to exact same level in all rooms.

On top of this you can't adjust eash room volume in spotify so you have to try to find your way back to the main menu in the Sonos app

After the latest update to the Sonos app you are not able to choose "genres" in spotify in the Sonos App so you have to go through spotify's app. This will result in more annoying phases that relates to topic 1. 

You can't ask google or alexa to group rooms. So when I ask Google or Alexa to play music on Sonos it will only be in that room. When I go to the bathroom I can't ask Google to play the same or group with the other rooms.

I just can't seem why Sonos is not doing anything about this. It should be so easy to program.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Badge

Badge

Badge

Yes must all be trivial. Probably 15 minutes for a junior programmer. Wouldn't even need any regression testing.

Although in any case…

I have no idea what you mean in 1, as when I slide the group volume the relative volumes are maintained.

2 is Spotify's responsibility

You can use Alexa groups to group speakers when giving a 'play' command.

I've found more than one thing that's extremely annoying when using Sonos.

1: 

If you are playing music from spotify and you have set the volume for different levels in each room and want to adjust the volume by turning the volume up or down it will set the volume to exact same level in all rooms.

On top of this you can't adjust eash room volume in spotify so you have to try to find your way back to the main menu in the Sonos app

After the latest update to the Sonos app you are not able to choose "genres" in spotify in the Sonos App so you have to go through spotify's app. This will result in more annoying phases that relates to topic 1. 

You can't ask google or alexa to group rooms. So when I ask Google or Alexa to play music on Sonos it will only be in that room. When I go to the bathroom I can't ask Google to play the same or group with the other rooms.

I just can't seem why Sonos is not doing anything about this. It should be so easy to program.

1 - If you mean while playing from the Spotify app, well Sonos can’t “program” anything, easy or not.  Sonos has no control over what the Spotify app does.

2 - Spotify controls what the UI does in the Sonos app and/or the content displayed.  Sonos only supplies the API.

3 - Already possible in Alexa - Alexa Groups and Sonos

Badge

Although in any case…

I have no idea what you mean in 1, as when I slide the group volume the relative volumes are maintained.

2 is Spotify's responsibility

You can use Alexa groups to group speakers when giving a 'play' command.

The problem is that the Spotify integration on the sonos app sucks. And in the sonos app it has a link to Spotify so you can use the spotify app.

What I mean by number 1 is what you can see on the first picture, I use the master volume to slide and the volume will go up and down in all rooms equivalent to what I do to the master. But if you are in the spotify app (and you have to be since the search function is so stupid in Sonos app), and try to either turn up og down to volume will be the same in all rooms as you see in picture three.

Yes you can do it in the beginning. But If I walk to another room for example my bed room and a song I playing in the living room. Then I can't get Google or alexa to play the same song or group these two rooms together. 

Once again, Sonos can't change the Spotify app, or Spotify's UI in the Sonos app, or how Alexa groups speakers.  That is up to Spotify and Amazon.  You are simply barking up the wrong tree.

Badge

Once again, Sonos can't change the Spotify app, or Spotify's UI in the Sonos app, or how Alexa groups speakers.  That is up to Spotify and Amazon.  You are simply barking up the wrong tree.

And this is where I think you are wrong. Sonos chose to work with, Spotify, Google, Alexa and so on. This is a part of the "Sonos experience " as they say. And they also put quite a big deal in how "easy" and convenient Sonos is.

So they should contact their business partners and make it work.  Exactly like they did when they started to work together. They say down and talked about how it should work and interfere with each other. It's not me as a Sonos customer that should take these steps. They should if they really want to be the best on the market. 

And this is where I think you are wrong. Sonos chose to work with, Spotify, Google, Alexa and so on. This is a part of the "Sonos experience " as they say. And they also put quite a big deal in how "easy" and convenient Sonos is.

So they should contact their business partners and make it work.  Exactly like they did when they started to work together. They say down and talked about how it should work and interfere with each other. It's not me as a Sonos customer that should take these steps. They should if they really want to be the best on the market. 

Or better yet, you contact them.  Sonos has no financial relationship with their partners.  You do.  As such, it is you who hold the cards, not Sonos.  

Yes you can do it in the beginning. But If I walk to another room for example my bed room and a song I playing in the living room. Then I can't get Google or alexa to play the same song or group these two rooms together. 

You are correct.  On walking into the room,  before you sit down,  you have to perform the onerous task of a long press on the speaker's play-pause button. 

Voice control is just one control tool among many.  

Badge

You are correct.  On walking into the room,  before you sit down,  you have to perform the onerous task of a long press on the speaker's play-pause button. 

Voice control is just one control tool among many.  

So I have to have a chair or ladder so I can reach my speakers mounted in the ceiling? 

You are just a person that can't point out flaws in the product you own - exactly like iPhone owners. This is a way they could make their product even better. And every professional company would take constrictive feedback for something good. 

I'm not saying Sonos is not good, but with minor effort they could do it even better. 

Of course Sonos isn't  perfect. These things are 'nice to haves'. They are not under Sonos' direct control, and I suspect your suggestion that these are simple changes is incorrect, at least as far as getting voice control to group Sonos speakers.

I am sure Sonos welcomes suggestions for improvement. And then prioritises the ones it thinks are most useful and can actually change, as resources are always limited.