amp/trueplay with 3rd party speakers

• 16 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

I believe that Trueplay will only work if you use the Sonos/Sonance speakers with the Amp, is that correct?  If so, how does that work. I think I read that the Amp identifies a unique impedance of the Sonance speakers and enables Trueplay.  Is the Sonance speaker and odd impedance? Won’t long runs if small diameter speaker wire increase impedance? I would love to use the Amp with a third party in ceiling speaker, but don’t want to lose Trueplay.  Is there anyway to make this happen?

If you run 2 sets of speakers off the amp you are running at 4 ohms correct?  So each speaker is still seeing 125 watts.. If you use 4 Sonance speakers with one amp, can you still you Trueplay? 

If you pair a Sonos Sub with the Amp, can you run Trueplay?  Anyone have any idea where the crossover point is set when using a Sub with Amp?

Thanks all,

Steve

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

To my knowledge, it’s only the Sonance Architectural speakers, not all Sonance speakers. I’d assume there’s some sort of electronic device that ‘reports’ to the Sonos that they’re the correct type, it would be odd to set it up as any kind of other check, such as impedance.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

There is some information here, but not all details:

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/truplay-with-amp-locked-to-sonos-branded-sonance-speakers-only-6820440

Ikea Symfonisk speakers can be hacked and Trueplay random speakers, no doubt other devices like the amp could too. it’s time for Sonos to release Trueplay for the Amp.

https://makezine.com/2019/08/16/hacking-the-sonos-ikea-symfonisk-into-a-high-quality-speaker-amp/

Badge

So will trueplay work if you have 4 speakers on one amp? @sonos 

Only if those speakers are Sonance Speakers from the Architectural line. Not all Sonance speakers have that feature.