Question

Amp losing connection to TV

• 25 May 2019
  • 2 replies

I have an LG TV with an ARC port. I use my AMP to power floor-standers and it’s connected to two play 1 as rear speakers.

its been working perfectly for 3 weeks. But over 3 days the amp light begins to flash white and the TV switches from using the AMP to using the TV speakers.

What is happening and how how do I fix this. My assumption is the Wi-fi connection to the internet should not be of impact as it is a local system using a local source.

2 replies

I'd tend to agree, although the amp does use your wifi router as a DHCP server to provide the surround speakers with IP addresses (I think), and uses it's own 5Ghz signal to communicate with them. I suppose it's possible that if there's no external DHCP server, it might have its own. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I am might correct me.

But as it's a Sonos device, and designed to be "connected" in any case, it might be worth figuring out what the issue is. There's a couple of things I'd suggest.

First, of course, is a power cycle of both the Amp and the TV, preferably with both of them being unplugged at the same time. This effectively forces a new handshake of the HDMI-CEC (ARC) connection, in case there's an issue there, as well as forcing both devices to do a fresh load of their firmware. Certainly can't hurt.

I'd also want to take a look around the TV set for any potential issues around wifi interference. If you can/want to, go ahead an try wiring your Amp to your router, and see if that makes a difference. If it does, and it's not convenient to have it wired in particular, there's other solutions.

Have you done a Sonos software upgrade recently? That process can expose issues with duplicate IP addresses, too. It can be resolved by unplugging your Sonos devices, rebooting the router, and then plugging them back in. Note that this is a relatively low chance of occurrence, but it can happen, and would certainly cause that blinking light issue, although it shouldn't cause the Amp to disconnect from the TV, since that's not an ethernet connection.

Finally, if none of that helps, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this issue, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it. I tend to suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Don't forget to check the silly things, such as the HDMI cable not fully seated in its socket.