Question

Amp - 4 Passive Speakers - Sub?

• 16 July 2019
  • 1 reply

Hello,

The house I moved into has 4 previously installed Bose (wired) surround sound speakers, so I plan on hooking them into the Sonos Amp to keep things clean. I also now have a Sonos Beam connected into the HDMI (ARC).. I have 3 Questions.. Apologies for so many, but this is a pretty purchase and I wanna make sure I do it right the first time.

1) Because I'll have 4 speakers hooked into the Amp, will I still be able to eventually hook in a Sonos sub to that Amp or am I maxed out? If maxed, do I have any options to hook in a sub down the road? I read somewhere that you can't connect 2 AMPs to a surround sound set-up, so I'm not sure my options.

2) I also have 4 outdoor (wired) speakers which I plan on hooking into another Amp. Will I be able to do this since I already have an amp utilized for my LR (within question 1). I guess my main confusion is where I read about not being able to use multiple amps in a set-up. I'm guessing I can since they sell racks, but I want to make sure.

3) The Beam will be connected to the HDMI (ARC) to allow control of the TV via google assistant. Will I still be able to connect the Living Room Amp (w/ 4 passives) to the Beam to create a sound system since the HDMI (ARC) input is already being utilized? My hope is this is where the wireless beauty of Sonos kicks in..

Thanks all!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Hello,

The house I moved into has 4 previously installed Bose (wired) surround sound speakers, so I plan on hooking them into the Sonos Amp to keep things clean. I also now have a Sonos Beam connected into the HDMI (ARC).. I have 3 Questions.. Apologies for so many, but this is a pretty purchase and I wanna make sure I do it right the first time.

1) Because I'll have 4 speakers hooked into the Amp, will I still be able to eventually hook in a Sonos sub to that Amp or am I maxed out? If maxed, do I have any options to hook in a sub down the road? I read somewhere that you can't connect 2 AMPs to a surround sound set-up, so I'm not sure my options.

The Sonos Sub connects wirelessly, not via the wired outputs. So yes, you can use a Sub.

Note: In that configuration, the Beam is the Front Left, Center, and Front Right speakers all in one, and the Amp will power just the L/R surrounds. There is no way to power separate Front Left and Front Right speakers when using a Beam.

2) I also have 4 outdoor (wired) speakers which I plan on hooking into another Amp. Will I be able to do this since I already have an amp utilized for my LR (within question 1). I guess my main confusion is where I read about not being able to use multiple amps in a set-up. I'm guessing I can since they sell racks, but I want to make sure.

No problem running multiple Amps as separate rooms.

3) The Beam will be connected to the HDMI (ARC) to allow control of the TV via google assistant. Will I still be able to connect the Living Room Amp (w/ 4 passives) to the Beam to create a sound system since the HDMI (ARC) input is already being utilized? My hope is this is where the wireless beauty of Sonos kicks in..

Thanks all!

In the case of a Beam with an Amp powering surrounds, the TV input will be to the Beam via HDMI-ARC, and the surrounds will get their input wirelessly from the Beam.