Question

Amazon households and family sharing

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
My wife and I each have an Apple iPad with the Sonos Controller App installed on them and connected to the same Sonos system around the house.

We each however have separate Amazon accounts for shopping, books we have purchased over the years and 'shared' music. Note we have setup what is called an “Amazon Household" online via their website, which allows us to share a prime music subscription, apps, books, purchased music etc.

An 'Amazon Household' (this is how Amazon refer to the setup) currently allows for two adults and 4 children to share.

My wife has recently installed the Amazon Alexa App on her iPad and now wants to link her own (shared household) Amazon Account to the one and only Sonos Account that is already in use on my iPad.

My thoughts are she cannot currently do this, as Sonos do not appear to support linking one Sonos Account to a shared set of Amazon household Accounts.... or that’s what I am led to believe is the case.

We haven’t yet tried to set things up on her iPad at the moment, because I suspect it may present us with a problem with the Sonos Account and so before linking the Sonos Account to both my Amazon Account and the wife’s Amazon Account, I thought I would just ask here to see if it’s okay to have this 'one to many' relationship with the current version of the Sonos skill?

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I really don't know the answer to your question, but I have to ask, how does using multiple Amazon accounts work with Alexa? Forget about linking to Sonos for the moment. So you have echo's in your house, correct? What account are they setup under? I assume it's yours, correct? If your wife installs the Alexa app on her ipad, and logs in with her Amazon account, will she even see the echo's that where setup under your account? Does the Amazon Household feature take care of that? If the household works, do you and your wife have separate lists? If you have any smart devices, what account are they setup under?

I get the feeling (totally guessing here), but the issue would be getting Alexa and your echos to operate under 2 accounts that share everything, so to speak. What ever that shared account is, that would be used to connect Sonos and Alexa, and should be pretty standard. But again, I only deal with one Amazon account, so not sure how that works when mixing with Alexa.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Let me begin by showing some screenshots from our online Alexa App web portal ... see attached. I will post again to explain what we did and what we thought might happen under an Amazon 'shared' Household.

Amazon Households can be setup in the Amazon Alexa settings area that is available here in the U.K. https://alexa.amazon.co.uk/spa/index.html

The web portal does not yet support the new routines facility, but 'routines' are of course available via the Alexa mobile app.

See screenshots.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Jane and I each have our own Amazon accounts, but we have enabled Amazon Household sharing which allows two adults and 4 children to share the following:

1. Online Payment Method
2. Amazon Unlimited (Music, Saved Playlists etc.) costs £14.99 per month for family.
3. Amazon Purchased/Uploaded Music to our separate clouds and our own playlists
4. Kindle Books
5. Audible Books
6. Amazon Apps (purchased on Amazon device or Firestick)

I understand restrictions can be placed on children as to what they buy, view etc albeit our children have long since grown up and flown the nest.

Anyhow a long story short is I installed the Alexa App on my iPad and in settings it shows things are being shared with Jane in the same Amazon household. I had setup all the smart home devices using the skills available .. ie Sonos Skill, Philips Hue Skill (Lights) , Kasa Skill (for smart plugs etc)... all four echo dots were setup on my account and I went onto create numerous smart home scenes, groups etc.

In more recent times I have gone onto create numerous Amazon Alexa 'Routines' this is where you can assign smart home devices to perform certain tasks when you say a particular instruction... just as an example I could say 'Alexa, we are leaving the house' ..and it can switch off all the house lights/plugs etc.

Routines are not currently supported by Sonos but that’s not important.

Anyhow my wife decided to install the Alexa App on her iPad ... it recognised she was in a shared household and detected all the echo dots and Sonos speakers. It showed our joint music membership under music and Books etc, but she wanted to see the Smart Home Devices/Groups and Scenes and the routines I had created under the 'Amazon Routines' section.

Now none of the Alexa skills were/are installed on her device and she asked me if she could add at least the Sonos skill to see what scenes and groups were available.

I have told her not to install the Sonos skill at this moment in time, as it may go onto cause problems, either with our Amazon Household sharing or more likely the Sonos system ...and thought I would post the question here, to see what people think.

The hope or intention for doing this, was we were also thinking that the Amazon Household sharing Facility may allow us to play our purchased and our Uploaded Amazon Music in our clouds on all our Sonos devices via Alexa, aswell as sharing our own created playlists. We are assuming that’s why Amazon Household sharing appears on the Alexa web portal site.

Note we are fairly new to Amazon Households and we are still trying to discover what we can/can’t share as a family.

I hope that explains my reason for posting this issue here and outlines what we were trying/hoping to achieve with Amazon Household on Alexa and the Sonos smart Home skill.

I am hoping that Amazon may also go onto share the new Alexa 'routines' feature too in the fullness of time.

I will also briefly mention that all our Sonos Rooms/Speakers are viewable in the 'Alexa Routines' section, albeit when a room is presently chosen, a message displays saying the smart home Sonos device is not 'currently' supported ... but maybe one day perhaps??? ... I can think of lots of things I could do if Sonos eventually do decide to support that feature, but that is another story, for another day.
I also live in an amazon household. My solution was to sign in the amazon alexa app as my wife. Everything else I sign in as myself. When I tried to sign in amazon alex app as myself, none of the routines, smart devices, etc. that I had set up under her were visible. The current system works fine however, even though she is the primary person in the alexa app and I am the person registered for sonos.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Jon56 wrote:

I also live in an amazon household. My solution was to sign in the amazon alexa app as my wife. Everything else I sign in as myself. When I tried to sign in amazon alex app as myself, none of the routines, smart devices, etc. that I had set up under her were visible. The current system works fine however, even though she is the primary person in the alexa app and I am the person registered for sonos.

Yes I have done a similar/same thing as you ... I think it’s the only way to do it until Alexa smart home things properly support the family sharing concept.

Anyhow thanks for the reply... it’s very much appreciated.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)