Question

Amazon Echo Speaker Integration

• 1 January 2017
  • 6 replies

Does anyone know if an Amazon Echo will be able to act as an additional speaker with a Sonos set up, in addition to providing voice control? For example, if I have two Sonos Play 1s, will my Echo be able to act as a third integrated speaker?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I don’t see how it would be able to perfectly sync the way that Sonos speakers can, so doubtful. Besides, the Echo sounds like crap compared to a Play:1.
I agree with ratty. Echo is a dumb device, all its smarts are in the cloud. Sonos devices need processor power to accomplish synching. I dont see it happening, both for technical and financial reasons.
Badge +20
I also have listened to the Echo, you can get away with it for the kids bedroom but it's not great. The Echo Dot is cheaper and would be my Choice for voice control and buy another Play 1.
As others have stated there are technical barriers preventing Sonos and Amazon speakers from being grouped or synced together but there may be some interoperability in the UI. For example if you have a Sonos Play5 plus an Echo Dot in the Dining Room and you have an Echo in the Kitchen then you may have the ability to control music in both areas by voice. Standing in the Dining room you might be able to say "Alexa play some Jazz in the Kitchen" and have the Kitchen Echo start playing. Likewise from the Kitchen you should be able to say "Alexa play some Jazz in the Dining Room" and have the Dining Room Play5 start playing. I'm hopeful the integration will operate that way.
The most frustrating thing when playing music via the Echo is that Alexa can't hear you! We are desperate for the Echo to be able to control Sonos but we are aware that when playing music loudly, any commands will be difficult to get understood; you literally have to shout above the music to get the unit to pause. It is a very tinny sound too, but we would just use the speakers and sound bars around the house.
Badge +20
The beauty and cheapness of the DOT is what you need close to your sitting area.