Almost £200 paid to Sonos and nothing to show for it!!

I have not received my replacement Sonos speaker and Sonos will take no responsibility as they say it was dispatched by them via UPS. It was scheduled for delivery on 30th September according to the tracking but UPS can’t tell me where it is. I have 11 products from Sonos but I cannot run the risk of purchasing anymore because Sonos take the money upfront and if the product doesn’t arrive, the customer has to stand the loss. Shame on Patrick Spencer, CEO for allowing this malpractice.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I am with @vanjan12 here, UK law is quite clear - The seller has ultimate responsibility for delivery of the goods. Providing the contract was placed with Sonos in the UK then Sonos are responsible for delivery. If however the contract is with Sonos US then it is more difficult.

In either case I would be hassling UPS but whilst it is not Sonos’ fault as a matter of good faith and customer relations, if not for legal reasons, Sonos should be following up with UPS to ensure delivery of the item.

I don’t understand why UPS cannot explain to you where the speaker is? They were the courier and the ones who were tracking/delivering it - I would get back in touch with UPS. Particularly if you have a tracking number, as that shows they too received and were tracking the package.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I have not received my replacement Sonos speaker and Sonos will take no responsibility as they say it was dispatched by them via UPS. It was scheduled for delivery on 30th September according to the tracking but UPS can’t tell me where it is.

Surely it is UPS that has responsibility here, not Sonos? It is UPS that lost it and “can’t tell me where it is”. 

@vanjan12 

I agree with @nik9669a, because there is a UPS tracking reference, the evidence is there to show UPS took possession of a parcel from Sonos - the responsibility passes to them to deliver it and for UPS to  simply say the things you mention in your post, like “We don’t knew where it is”… and… “There’s nothing more we can do”… is not an answer. I would take up those comments with UPS management as they must, at the very least, show delivery, or otherwise admit liability for the loss.

I’m sorry @nik9669a and Ken_Griffiths but you are both incorrect. My contract legally is with the seller and not the courier. Please see quote below from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

“If you bought something from a business to be delivered, it’s the seller’s responsibility to make sure the item is delivered to you.

If the seller used a courier, they should chase the courier to find out what’s happened to your order - it’s not your responsibility”.

I’m sure a number of items from a good many different manufacturers/suppliers get ‘lost in the post’ every day/week/month/year, but in your case the parcel was certainly correctly dispatched by Sonos and received by UPS, as you have the UPS tracking reference record to show that as being the case.

If I was in your shoes, I would be ranting much more about the UPS courier, as it’s clear to me that Sonos have done everything asked of them in this case .. and as you mention, it is UPS who are stating ‘they do not know where your parcel is’ and making comments like ‘there’s nothing more they can do’.

It’s certainly not Sonos’ fault at all - if anything you should perhaps be venting your anger towards UPS, which in my own personal experience of using their courier services have been excellent, but that of course is based on my own experience and dealings with them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It's up to Sonos to claim the loss from UPS as they have paid for the service.

The buck stops soely at Sonos, if you have not received your goods Sonos should refund you and seek compensation from UPS (not your problem).

Sonos is UPS's customer NOT the end recipient, UPS only have a duty to deal with thier customer (which is Sonos).

It is most unfortunate that Sonos doesn’t own UPS, nor that Patrick Spence manages their process. Sonos is unfortunately just a customer, and needs to deal with UPS just like anyone else who ships something using the service. 

I have spoken to UPS every day since and they’ve told me there’s nothing more they can do!!! But if Sonos chooses to use a courier then I’m sorry  they should bear the cost if their customer does not receive the goods!!! Imagine if every company who uses a courier adapted the same stance … no one would ever order on-line!!

I have hounded UPS every day to no avail. I have an email from Sonos stating that the item will be delivered on the 30th September. Sonos must be insured against this sort of thing!! So if UPS don’t deliver and I can’t get anywhere with their Customer Service, you’re saying basically that I have to bear the loss? I’m sorry but that’s not fair.

If there’s no proof of delivery and the package is declared lost in transit then insurance should kick in. Conventionally it’s the sender who organises insurance based on a declared value. 

Sonos packages to the UK appear to come via Poland. Given all the bureaucracy introduced by Brexit it’s conceivable that there could simply be delays and hold-ups while the documentation is dealt with.

I have hounded UPS every day to no avail. I have an email from Sonos stating that the item will be delivered on the 30th September. Sonos must be insured against this sort of thing!! So if UPS don’t deliver and I can’t get anywhere with their Customer Service, you’re saying basically that I have to bear the loss? I’m sorry but that’s not fair.

No, no-one is saying you should ever be out of pocket, and given the circumstances outlined, I personally do not think you will, but I don’t see why you landed here ‘roasting’ Sonos (and their CEO) as they ‘clearly’ handed your purchased item to UPS in good faith for delivery - it’s not Sonos’ fault if UPS (who were tracking your item) are now saying ‘they do not know where it is’.

It’s not a case whereby UPS are saying they delivered the item - so in many ways they are admitting liability by saying they have no knowledge of its whereabouts.

I think both companies will be looking into the matter and it’s just a case of lodging your complaint to both companies and waiting to see the outcome. If you are still not satisfied then to perhaps seek redress through whatever steps you think become necessary, including ‘small claims’ court etc; but presumably that won’t be necessary.

I don’t think anyone has suggested you need to bear any loss whatsoever. UPS should be resolving the situation. At the very least, after all, Sonos has already paid them for services, if they’re unable to provide the service, then they should make right. 

I’m unfortunately dealing with similar frustration with UPS right now, who have “lost” a computer that was being sent back to my office. I’m a tad incensed also, but railing at someone who has merely engaged another company to do something doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. I could be angry at my former employee for choosing to use UPS, but where does that get me?

I could more easily see a comment about “UPS has failed in this case, Sonos should choose another shipping company” than “Sonos is allowing malpractice”. And sometimes, especially in corporations like both Sonos and UPS, it does take time to figure things out, and make things right. 

I get that you’re frustrated. You should be. But I also believe that it will eventually work itself out. May be hard to see that at this moment, though. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Though the OP’s tone is a bit harsh, I do think the responsibility to solve this lies with Sonos. Though not the biggest company, Sonos should not point to UPS but just send a new device once it is clear the first device is misplaced by their chosen transport company. Now they seem to bother the customer with their problem.

Over the years I’ve had this problem with Amazon twice. For Amazon was no trouble to send a new item once their chosen transport company (DHL and PostNL in my case) could not find the item anymore.

I had an overnight FedEx shipment from a US location to a US location disappear for several days.

It looks as if UPS have now found my parcel and it is scheduled for delivery on Monday. I have been very disappointed with Sonos for not sorting this out with UPS on my behalf. I have spent almost an hour every day in the past week trying to locate it. Sonos actually told me that it was nothing to do with them since the parcel was collected by UPS and even though they agreed to escalate the problem, I didn’t receive one communication from them. 

Sonos almost certainly have as much visibility into UPS’s tracking system as you do. If the package had in the end been declared lost I’m sure they would have sorted things out. 

Like I said, Brexit has pretty well gummed up the smooth transportation of such items. They can sit for days awaiting customs clearance.