Question

Alexa won't play through my gen 1 play3's , playbar or play5's generation 1

• 7 November 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +2
Alexa has found my speakers ( generation 1) but when I ask it to play through them it says it's not recognised?????
Are gen 1 compatible with Alexa? Or am I just making a mistake in the set up

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

It should indeed be compatible, I'm using all of these Sonos speakers at home with control by several Echo Dots.

I'd recommend "forgetting" all devices in the Amazon app, removing the Sonos 'feature" and then downloading and going through the installation process again.
Userlevel 2
I thought it was just me but apparently many many people have issues with the Play One. It is connected with all my other Sonos components but the Alexa feature is pretty much worthless. First, the setup process which requires going back and forth between the Alexa and Sonos apps is tedious and should be streamlined. Second, Alexa feature just doesn't consistently work. Despite removing and reenabling skills, the Alexa just doesn't work to the point where it is any use. Often, Alex responds to wake but nothing happens when commands such as play music, play station, etc are given. Other times, Alexa says "I don't understand". On occasions where it does start playing an artist, it won't stop, won't change, etc. Powering off modem, router, Sonos components has not effect. Thought this was unique to my system but after Googling, discovered that this seems to be very common. Prior to adding Play One, loved Sonos and never had any issues. I have owned at least a dozen Sonos components for the last 8 years.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I thought it was just me but apparently many many people have issues with the Play One. It is connected with all my other Sonos components but the Alexa feature is pretty much worthless. First, the setup process which requires going back and forth between the Alexa and Sonos apps is tedious and should be streamlined. Second, Alexa feature just doesn't consistently work. Despite removing and reenabling skills, the Alexa just doesn't work to the point where it is any use. Often, Alex responds to wake but nothing happens when commands such as play music, play station, etc are given. Other times, Alexa says "I don't understand". On occasions where it does start playing an artist, it won't stop, won't change, etc. Powering off modem, router, Sonos components has not effect. Thought this was unique to my system but after Googling, discovered that this seems to be very common. Prior to adding Play One, loved Sonos and never had any issues. I have owned at least a dozen Sonos components for the last 8 years.

Hi Charles

I assume you are talking about the Sonos One - with Alexa? This isn't my experience. When you get a failed command can open the Alexa App>Settings>History and ensure that Alexa heard you correctly. A few people have problems agreed but you need to keep this in the context that Sonos sold 6.9M products in 2018, that's an average of 18,904 per day.