Answered

Airplay on Sonos Playbar

• 27 August 2018
  • 8 replies

I have a Sonos Playbar and an iPhone 6S. Is there any way to use Airplay for playing music via the Sonos app? It is very frustrating that a $700 plus speaker does not have this sw functionality built in. Any help?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 August 2018, 04:16

No, unfortunately 7 or 10 years ago, when the PLAYBAR was designed, they didn't know what kind of processing power was going to be needed to deal with the AirPlay 2 signal. You could add a Sonos One to your system, and group the two, and play from your iPhone 6 that way.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

No, unfortunately 7 or 10 years ago, when the PLAYBAR was designed, they didn't know what kind of processing power was going to be needed to deal with the AirPlay 2 signal. You could add a Sonos One to your system, and group the two, and play from your iPhone 6 that way.
There is a way to use airplay with playbar which I finally figured out but you need to have Apple TV which has an optical audio input/output port. I simply connected it to my playbar and now I'm able to stream anything off my iphone to the playbar.
Well, then you’re not actually sending the AirPlay 2 stream to the PLAYBAR, you’re sending it To the AppleTV. Which then sends the signal to your TV, which then sends the signal to the PLAYBAR.

As a note, this was a 5month old thread.
Do you feel morally superior now that you pointed out this was a 5 month old thread and that it's not "actually sending Airplay2 directly to the PLAYBAR?" Did the part about needing Apple TV to make it work elude you DB? It's a partial solution given the nature of the problem, and "actually", Airplay streams to the Apple TV and directly into the PLAYBAR. Maybe someone other than yourself may find this useful.
Badge
are there plans to update the Playbar to include AirPlay ? been holding off buying one since last november.. want simple AirPlay and the beam is too small to fill up the room (already have a beam)....
are there plans to update the Playbar to include AirPlay ? been holding off buying one since last november.. want simple AirPlay and the beam is too small to fill up the room (already have a beam)....
The Playbase is also Airplay-enabled.
As has been discussed before, the PLAYBAR itself doesn't have enough "horsepower" in order to be a processor of an AirPlay 2 stream. It's unlikely, unless Apple changes the specifications of AirPlay 2, for that to change.

That being said, I continue to group my PLAYBAR with a PLAY:5 gen 2 and use it to play the AirPlay 2 stream that I send to the PLAY:5.