Answered

Airplay and AppleTV

• 28 July 2021
  • 2 replies

I have 2 Sonos One SL speakers in different rooms, and the latest Apple TV. I have not previously had AppleTV sound through the speakers. The other day I was trying to set up Siri control for the speakers, without success. I was also trying to set up leave and return home routines as well as an alarm with the speakers. I’m now seeing a few weird things happen, all with Airplay listed as the source in the Sonos app. 

1. I’m now getting brief “now playing” banners come up over the Apple TV screensaver based on music set directly through the app (I think; it may have been the return home routine that set the music).
  2. I paused the music yesterday and it started playing on its own a few minutes later. No alarms are set around this time.
  3. The last 2 mornings since setting up the return home routine and a 4:45 AM alarm, I’ve had the music change shortly before 7 AM to the station set for the return home routine. 
  4. Last night my son turned on a movie through Apple TV, and the sound was playing through both Sonos speakers. This has not happened in the previous month I’ve had the speakers. This is not a problem, I just don’t know what I’ve done to enable this or how to have it happen consistently. I assume I can ungroup the speakers so it’s only playing on one room, I just didn’t want to play around and mess it up. 

2 and 3 have happened when I haven’t left the house in several hours. I assume they’re caused by a communication drop between the speakers and my phone, and it starts the return home routine when the speakers see the phone again. 1 and 4 are nit problems in any way, I just want to know how to keep doing them as I have no idea what caused the speakers and the Apple TV to suddenly start working together. Any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Xander P 29 July 2021, 10:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Phoenix3735, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’m not sure what could have caused the music to start playing on its own, however this is usually a case of another controller starting the music playback again - if it keeps happening I’d recommend submitting a diagnostic shortly after, and reaching out to our Support Team - they’ll be able to check where any playback commands came from :)

Regarding getting Apple TV playing on your Sonos speakers, this can be done through the Audio Output settings on the Apple TV, and you can find some guidance here on how to Control audio on multiple AirPlay 2 devices.

Hope this helps :)

@Xander P Thank you! That worked.