Answered

After adding custom radio station, how can I listen to it?

• 5 November 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Version 9.2 of the controller. According to the out of date documentation which I assume refers to the superior, former version of the app/dekstop controller - it says after added I can access via the "My Radio Stations" menu... Where is this?

So I go to Manage->Add Radio Station and I add the url and name it.

Now what? It's not under "Select a Music Service" menu on the right fo the controller. So where does it go after adding and naming?
icon

Best answer by MikeV 5 November 2018, 11:55

As unusual as it's going to sound, it's actually under TuneIn > My Radio Stations. I say that's unusual because really those custom stations have nothing to do with TuneIn.
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
As unusual as it's going to sound, it's actually under TuneIn > My Radio Stations. I say that's unusual because really those custom stations have nothing to do with TuneIn.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks - one of the problems when an incompetent company like Sonos changes interfaces around for no reason - the documentation reflects the older, more superior version of the app/program and end users get tortured in 4 ways:

1) We get an "updated", worse version of the app/software

2) We get to spend hours looking for something that used to be there, isn't there and isn't documented anywhere because the really smart people at Sonos didn't update the docs.

3) The end user has to come here, figure out where to post the question, find the arcane "Create topic" button and ask the question

and finally

4) Some kind person like you has to take the time to answer.

Seems way easier to keep the far superior version of the app/software and not degrade the user's experience by "upgrading" it and generally wasting everyone's time because some bored "UI Supervisor" decided to change the UI of the app for no reason.

In any event, thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It's actually something that didn't change. It's been that way for years. The setting has been in the same place (the Manage menu) and the custom stations have always been under TuneIn > My Radio Stations.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I must admit I had never noticed that radio stations added manually as a URL were to be found under TuneIn ---> My Radio Stations. There are 2 reasons for this. 1) I assumed that as I had added it manually it would be under "My Radio Stations" and 2) When I did use URLs I also added them to my favourites so accessed them mostly that way.

As MikeV notes this isn't a change Sonos have recently (ever?) introduced - In the 5 years I've used Sonos the added radio stations have always appeared in the same place.

I imagine there are various reasons Sonos do it this way. Even though it may seem intuitive to have a separate section for, say, "Added URLs" this adds another section meaning if users have a number of subscribed music services the list gets quite long. Also, as I mentioned above it does make sense that radio stations added manually should appear under "My Radio Stations" even if it isn't logical that this is under TuneIn.

But it does underscore the challenge for Sonos - I've used URLs a fair bit and never had any trouble finding them even though there is a clear case that they, perhaps, should have their own section in the list of services. But on the other hand the OP apparently couldn't find it once he'd saved it and apparently that means Sonos are incompetent.

For me, I'd never even considered it even worthy of note until I read this thread. Perhaps I was lucky, more determined or just smarter. I don't know
Thanks - one of the problems when an incompetent company like Sonos changes interfaces around for no reason - the documentation reflects the older, more superior version of the app/program and end users get tortured in 4 ways:.......

2) We get to spend hours looking for something that used to be there, isn't there and isn't documented anywhere because the really smart people at Sonos didn't update the docs.
I just googled 'Sonos add radio station'. Screenshot attached. 10 seconds' work. Same instructions as it has been in all the years I have used Sonos.