Answered

af8 oled from sony how to setup with sonos 5.1 setup

• 19 October 2018
  • 4 replies

hi,
im not sure how i connect correctly the oled tv with my sonos system. can everyone help me. whar should i do on tv menu to force the 5.1 passthtough arriving from my appel tv 4k?

thank you very much
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 October 2018, 04:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Start with the settings on the Apple TV 4K.

Open up the settings app on the Apple TV
Go to Video and Audio
Scroll down to Audio Format and select Dolby Digital 5.1.

That should force your Apple TV to send an appropriate signal to the TV, which shouldn't alter is in any way.

If you feel the need, you could look at the audio settings of the Sony and also lock it down to Dolby Digital, but since I don't have one, nor have I bothered to look it up in the owners manual, I can't give you any particular instructions on that.

If you have any other devices connected to the TV, you'd need to make similar adjustments to them. Pay particular attention to any Bluray player you may have, as they often don't have the ability to be locked to Dolby Digital, and you would need to make a choice in each disk's audio settings to play the Dolby Digital channel rather than the DTS channel most disks come with.
hi, thx for the reply, i have do the settings on the apple tv and i still get sound, but im not sure if this is 5.1 or only stereo. Anyone know how can i change the audio setup on the sony tv. there are so many options in there.

thx a lot
No, sorry. I’d recommend that you take a look at the manual for it.

You can look in the Sonos app, however, to see what sound the Sonos system is getting. Open the app, go to more, then click on “About My Sonos System” and look for the data next to “Audio In”. That should say either “Stereo” or “Dolby Digital 5.1”.
I'm having a similar issue, which I describe in detail here: https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/beam-5-1-with-sony-a8f-and-youtube-6819304

Any help would be appreciated.