Answered

Advanced Settings Removed from PC Controller

• 10 November 2018
  • 2 replies

Badge
In the past when "Advanced" settings disappeared, it meant you needed to upgrade your controller app. I did, but the advanced setting still didn't appear. So I called support and I was told SONOS has removed this from the desktop controller app for technical reasons. Hmmm?, it used to be there. It used to work. I was told to use my phone app as most people use their phone and "it is the way of the future". I have a Microsoft Surface Pro. Maybe someone should tell Microsoft they are not 'in the future'. I also checked my iPad - removed.

I have speaker drops on line-in and use the 'compress' setting for music over line-in. But, when I play videos the compression delay (about 1.5 seconds) doesn't sync with the motion, so I go uncompressed and deal with the drop-outs. I don't really want to be part of "the future" if I have to watch videos on a tiny phone or have to have both devices to effectively use SONOS. Silly.

So I looked in support and in community and I cannot find anywhere that indicates the advanced options are no longer supported on the desktop controller. Again seems strange. Maybe it's time to change platforms?

Can anyone confirm this? Similar experience?
icon

Best answer by UKMedia 10 November 2018, 10:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Similar experience and similarly affronted by this hipster nonsense that assumes everyone is glued to a phone. Sonos continue to dumb down their front-end software with each release.

Maybe they've decided to be like Sony and Samsung i.e. make great hardware, but be really terrible at user interfaces.

it's the future
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Please see here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/updates-to-the-desktop-controller-coming-soon-6813300

Only the settings options have been removed from the Desktop App. And before you complain to me, I also disagree with the move as well. :@

There has been a gradual divergency in functionality between the Desktop and Mobile versions for sometime, which was accelerated with the introduction of Voice Control.