Question

Adding a Sonos One for Enable Airplay 2

• 15 September 2019
  • 5 replies

Hi
Here is my setup:
Living-room: Playbar, Sub, 2x Play 1 (surround)
Basement: 1x Play 1
Garage: 1x Play 1
Bedroom: 1x Play 1

My question is:
If I buy a new Sonos One and put it in the kitchen, can I enable Airplay 2 to all of my Play 1 speakers separately?
I know I can group for example kitchen and basement to get AirPlay in basement (and turning off the volume in kitchen for only play music in basement.
But is then the kitchen speaker (Sonos One) locked to that group? (Can I have it grouped with an other Play 1 at the same time, example Bedroom?)
Example: “Hey Siri, play Elvis in basement” (works because I have grouped kitchen and basement). But at the same time I would like to say: “Hey Siri, play ABBA in bedroom”. Is that possible? Or du I need a extra Sonos One for each room? (So I don’t have to regroup the Sonos One every time I would like to use Airplay in an other room)

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
The Airplay 2 speaker has to be the one that is playing the music, other speakers may be grouped to it. So in your kitchen case, it will always be the one playing the music.

But I'm not too clear on your example, because it's not clear where your music is located. If you have more than one Airplay enabled source, such as iTunes and an iPhone, you would need more than one Airplay enabled speaker to play these at the same time in different rooms.
But if you only have one Airplay enabled source, such as iTunes it can only play music in one location.
I will only use my iPhone as source.
I know that the first room will pause when I starts to play in an other room from the same source. So my question is do I need to open the Sonos app to regroup the speakers to a new group (kitchen + Bedroom) to get it to work?
(when the kitchen was grouped with basement before)
I'm not sure I understand your question fully.

You can certainly use the speaker's controls to group rooms. For all practical purposes, the AirPlay 2 signal is simply a "source" to a particular speaker. You would be able to group using either the controller or the speaker's buttons.

See the last line in this inappropriately titled FAQ:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3391
ok, I will try to make my self more clear.
I wonder if I buy one new Sonos One (place it in the kitchen, new room), is there a way to make all off my play 1’s Airplay compatible, as if they all where “Sonos One’s”?
That I can use apple HomeKit (Siri) to play songs from Apple Music from my iPhone to ex bedroom, “Siri play xxxxx in bedroom” (Sonos Play 1 speaker).
and later that day say: “Siri Play xxxxx in basement” ?(also Sonos Play one) (without need to open the Sonos app (or any other app) to regroup my speakers (with Sonos One).
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
ok, I will try to make my self more clear.
I wonder if I buy one new Sonos One (place it in the kitchen, new room), is there a way to make all off my play 1’s Airplay compatible, as if they all where “Sonos One’s”?

You cannot “make all of them compatible” but you can group any others with the Kitchen and hear the same music that is playing in the grouped rooms. The groups can be made/unmade/remade as and when you want using any combination of rooms/speakers.