Answered

Account Required with Update

Why is it mandatory to create an account to continue to use Sonos? I have had these speakers for years. now with the lastest update I can't use the speakers without creating an account and registering all my speakers. this was never necessary. after spending thousands of dollars on hardware it has become unusable with a registered account and password. 😠
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 18 July 2018, 03:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

In fact, you've always needed an account. It's just recently that they've added the password, and the requirement to log in each time you add a new speaker. You may have forgotten your original account, but the first time you set up your Sonos, it was still a requirement.
No no no no! This is not the point of the question! You now have to log in to get the update and you have to answer all sorts of personal questions. This was not required before.

I just want to listen to my music.

Why do you need to collect all my personal data to?

To 'improve' my listening experience? or so you can use and sell my data?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You know you can lie when you answer those questions, if you are concerned.

The registration process is there to ensure all speakers are on the Same firmware so that you don't get compatibility issues. And yes Sonos probably want to know how their products are used by their customers so they can target improvements.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
To 'improve' my listening experience? or so you can use and sell my data?
PLEASE READ SONOS' PRIVACY POLICY!

The last sentence of the first paragraph of Sonos' privacy policy VERY CLEARLY AND IN PLAIN ENGLISH (assuming you're reading the English version) states that they WILL NOT SELL YOUR DATA! I'll even put it here so you don't even need to click the link:

We will protect your data as though it is sacred. And we do not and will not sell your data to third parties.

Everyone making posts like this has OBVIOUSLY not read the policy. It's right there at the top... first paragraph of the document. It takes no effort to find this sentence. You may be an annoyed customer, but I'm also annoyed by the fact that plenty of Sonos users are making assumptions like this without even making an effort to read the document that would easily clear things up.

There's a much greater likelihood that the music services you use through your Sonos system are going to sell your data than Sonos will.
Userlevel 1
[quote=MikeV]There's a much greater likelihood that the music services you use through your Sonos system are going to sell your data than Sonos will.

Fact is privacy policies can be changed in an instant and assuming you reread the entire new privacy policy - cause they're unlikely to highlight the changes - for all practical purposes it doesn't matter because unlike a shopping site or music service, Sonos is a physical device we've all paid our money for. Short of selling it on eBay, we're stuck with it.

The last sentence of the first paragraph of Sonos' privacy policy VERY CLEARLY AND IN PLAIN ENGLISH (assuming you're reading the English version) states that they WILL NOT SELL YOUR DATA! I'll even put it here so you don't even need to click the link:

We will protect your data as though it is sacred. And we do not and will not sell your data to third parties.

You seem to have a lot of faith in this quote from the privacy policy, however what I find disturbing is that it only states they will not SELL any data. The word I would like to see is that they won't SHARE any data, because right now it seems like they can pass data around how much they want as long as they do not get payed from it.

You seem to have a lot of faith in this quote from the privacy policy, however what I find disturbing is that it only states they will not SELL any data. The word I would like to see is that they won't SHARE any data, because right now it seems like they can pass data around how much they want as long as they do not get payed from it.

The Privacy Policy plainly states what data is shared and with whom they share it. Note that in the US a public privacy policy is subject to federal laws on interstate commerce, enforced by the FTC.

To Whom We Disclose your Personal Information and Why

Third Party Vendors. Sonos uses a variety of third party vendors to perform services such as website management and hosting, online Product purchases and shipping, credit card processing and email communications. We share your personal data as necessary to complete any transaction or provide any Product or Service you have requested or authorized; with vendors or agents working on our behalf for the purposes described in this Statement. In such instances, your personal information will be shared with these agents or contractors but only for the purpose of performing services on behalf of Sonos and in accordance with this Statement. The updated list of these parties may be requested from Sonos at any time.

Music Services. In order to ensure the best customer experience and ensure that music services function properly on Sonos, Sonos may share relevant Activity information with music services that you have authorized to interact with your Sonos Products.

Control Partners. Once you have enabled direct control of your Sonos system we may share relevant Activity information with control partners that you have authorized to interact with your Sonos Products.

Voice Partners. Once you have enabled speech recognition to control your Sonos system we may share relevant Activity information and Audio Data with voice control partners that you have authorized to receive such data.

Parties with whom it might be necessary when we reasonably believe it is required by law or in connection with legal proceedings; to prevent harm to Sonos or its customers; for the prevention and detection of crime or the apprehension or prosecution of offenders; to maintain the security of our Products or to protect the rights or property of Sonos.

Parties with whom it might be necessary to complete a financial or corporate transaction such as a merger or sale of assets.

We also share data with Sonos-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries.
[quote=MikeV]To 'improve' my listening experience? or so you can use and sell my data?
PLEASE READ SONOS' PRIVACY POLICY!

untill they change their policy to where they can sell their data --- or maybe they will trade your data with apple or amazon?

untill they change their policy to where they can sell their data --- or maybe they will trade your data with apple or amazon?

If they change the policy, the FTC can go after them for unfair and deceptive acts and practices, because the statement ". . . and we will not sell your data" implies both now and in the future.

As to trading (actually sharing) your data, see above. They share Activity Data, which they allow you to opt out of if you wish.

Nice try though. With a username like yours, I expected no less than the most brilliant and mature analysis.
well I am sorry to say you are not correct - The FTC will not go after them and they can change their policy any time - if you opt in after the change it replaces the previous "contract" ie privacy policy.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
well I am sorry to say you are not correct - The FTC will not go after them and they can change their policy any time - if you opt in after the change it replaces the previous "contract" ie privacy policy.

Yup, they can and likely will change the policy. They don't need to notify us either. Lol ftc.

In addition There are other cases where they may collect data and possible share you have opted out of (if support asks you to submit a diagnostic for example.)

Imo scope of this is likely to grow with partners and desire to grow and turn profitable as a public company. I'm not bothered by this, but something to watch for sure.

Snip

Changes to Our Privacy Statement

Sonos may modify or update this Statement when necessary to reflect customer feedback and changes in our Products and Service; so, please review it periodically. When we update this Statement, we will revise the “Last Updated” date at the top of the Statement. If there are material changes to the Statement or in how Sonos uses your personal data, we will notify you either by posting a notice of such changes before they take effect or by sending you a notification. We encourage you to periodically review this Statement to learn more about how Sonos is using and protecting your information. Your continued use of the Service or Products after any modification to this Statement will constitute your acceptance of such modification and updates.
It should be obvious that in case someone uses e.g. Alexa sharing specific data with Amazon (like IP adresses and room names of the speakers) is necessary in order to make voice control work.
Sonos sucks, they are selling our data!!!!

Uhhh, no they aren't.

Sonos sucks, they might sell our data in the future!!!!

*sigh*

It's the FTC's job to go after them. You saying they won't is like saying cops won't go after bank robbers.

See this link to learn a little something:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/media-resources/protecting-consumer-privacy/enforcing-privacy-promises

Enforcing Privacy Promises

MAKING SURE COMPANIES KEEP THEIR PRIVACY PROMISES TO CONSUMERS
When companies tell consumers they will safeguard their personal information, the FTC can and does take law enforcement action to make sure that companies live up these promises. The FTC has brought legal actions against organizations that have violated consumers’ privacy rights, or misled them by failing to maintain security for sensitive consumer information. In many of these cases, the FTC has charged the defendants with violating Section 5 of the FTC Act, which bars unfair and deceptive acts and practices in or affecting commerce. In addition to the FTC Act, the agency also enforces other federal laws relating to consumers’ privacy and security.

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2018/04/mobile-phone-maker-blu-reaches-settlement-ftc-over-deceptive

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2018/04/uber-agrees-expanded-settlement-ftc-related-privacy-security

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2018/01/electronic-toy-maker-vtech-settles-ftc-allegations-it-violated

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2017/09/ftc-earns-prestigious-international-award-ashleymadisoncom-data

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2017/09/lenovo-settles-ftc-charges-it-harmed-consumers-preinstalled

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2017/08/operator-online-tax-preparation-service-agrees-settle-ftc-charges

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2017/04/ftc-approves-final-orders-resolving-allegations-companies

Need more?