Answered

Account is registered to an unknown/unfamiliar email -- we have no idea who

• 8 September 2018
  • 8 replies

Hi there, I need to set up a Sonos account (again), but I the app tells me that "Sonos is registered to XYZ email (nobody in our household knows where that came from). How can we get rid of that account/email and how did it get there? We are concerned.
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 9 September 2018, 00:31

The FAQ helps (if you spell the query right or copy/paste it from jgatie's post) and has this bit under Creating your Sonos Account:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3427?language=en_US

I forgot my password and no longer have access to my account's email, can I change the Sonos account my players are linked to?

Yes. You can transfer the account your Sonos system is registered and linked to.

Using the Sonos app for iOS or Android: Open the Sonos app. From the More tab, tap Settings > Account Settings > Transfer Sonos to a new account

Using the Sonos app on Mac or PC: Select Help > Account Settings > Transfer Sonos to a new account
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Have you at any time bought Sonos second hand?
thanks for the reply - no we bought it new
You might be able to switch accounts in Advanced Settings, Account Settings, but I suspect it will require you to sign in, which is going to be problematic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you had an installer out to put it in they may have used their account, they might be able to do the switch for you.

If not that could the Sonos folks on Twitter do anything to help, they are faster than the forums.
You could factory reset everything and set up afresh, but would lose playlists, settings etc. Might instead talk directly to Sonos.
In Account Settings you can transfer the system to a different account. Choose 'Transfer Account', then choose 'I don't have access to this email'.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The FAQ helps (if you spell the query right or copy/paste it from jgatie's post) and has this bit under Creating your Sonos Account:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3427?language=en_US

I forgot my password and no longer have access to my account's email, can I change the Sonos account my players are linked to?

Yes. You can transfer the account your Sonos system is registered and linked to.

Using the Sonos app for iOS or Android: Open the Sonos app. From the More tab, tap Settings > Account Settings > Transfer Sonos to a new account

Using the Sonos app on Mac or PC: Select Help > Account Settings > Transfer Sonos to a new account
I am having the same problem. I have reset the password associated with my actual email address and 'transferred' the account. But when I go to add the additional speaker, the App assumes I have the random old email again.

Is it easier just to do a reset?