Answered

accessing music library on external hard drive

• 9 September 2018
  • 3 replies

Apologies if this has been asked previously. I have looked with no help!

I have a play 1, play 5 and sound bar.
While at my parents-in-law's home I have attempted to setup my play5.

Previously worked ok, until i moved my iTunes library onto an external hard drive to free up space on my iMac.

I have attempted to connect my iTunes library but receive the following message:

It seems my external hard drive is formatted to windows NTS.

I am running an iMac on OS 10.13 (High Sierra). My sonos apps are updated.

Any ideas on how I can access my music library without having to put it back on my hard drive?

I also have a backup of this on my Airport Time Capsule as a hard drive backup.
I have tried to access this through the Sonos app as well, but as it is a "network", I'm not totally sure of the pathway I am supposed to begin typing into the settings.

Hoping someone can help me please.

Many thanks,

gerrytu73
icon

Best answer by Belly M 9 September 2018, 10:41

Simplest solution would be to back up the external HDD, format it to HFS+ and then copy the data back.

The backup on the TC, was this created by Time Machine as you won’t be able to access it. You need a straight copy of your music, Sonos help file with path info...

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/78?language=en_US
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

It depends on where you copied the music onto the TC, if just into the Data shared folder then the path would be...

\\timecapsulename\data
Thanks - I'm actually just copying my files back over to a reformatted drive now to try this option.

Regarding the time capsule - I use it as a time machine, but also backed the iTunes up on it as a hard drive just in case something went awry with my ext hd, so it was being used in that capacity as a network drive of some sort. Not sure how I would have accessed that with sonos if it was necessary.
Simplest solution would be to back up the external HDD, format it to HFS+ and then copy the data back.

The backup on the TC, was this created by Time Machine as you won’t be able to access it. You need a straight copy of your music, Sonos help file with path info...

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/78?language=en_US