Answered

accessing music library on external hard drive

• 9 September 2018
  • 3 replies

Apologies if this has been asked previously. I have looked with no help!

I have a play 1, play 5 and sound bar.
While at my parents-in-law's home I have attempted to setup my play5.

Previously worked ok, until i moved my iTunes library onto an external hard drive to free up space on my iMac.

I have attempted to connect my iTunes library but receive the following message:

It seems my external hard drive is formatted to windows NTS.

I am running an iMac on OS 10.13 (High Sierra). My sonos apps are updated.

Any ideas on how I can access my music library without having to put it back on my hard drive?

I also have a backup of this on my Airport Time Capsule as a hard drive backup.
I have tried to access this through the Sonos app as well, but as it is a "network", I'm not totally sure of the pathway I am supposed to begin typing into the settings.

Hoping someone can help me please.

Many thanks,

gerrytu73
icon

Best answer by Belly M 9 September 2018, 10:41

Simplest solution would be to back up the external HDD, format it to HFS+ and then copy the data back.

The backup on the TC, was this created by Time Machine as you won’t be able to access it. You need a straight copy of your music, Sonos help file with path info...

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/78?language=en_US
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Simplest solution would be to back up the external HDD, format it to HFS+ and then copy the data back.

The backup on the TC, was this created by Time Machine as you won’t be able to access it. You need a straight copy of your music, Sonos help file with path info...

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/78?language=en_US
Thanks - I'm actually just copying my files back over to a reformatted drive now to try this option.

Regarding the time capsule - I use it as a time machine, but also backed the iTunes up on it as a hard drive just in case something went awry with my ext hd, so it was being used in that capacity as a network drive of some sort. Not sure how I would have accessed that with sonos if it was necessary.
It depends on where you copied the music onto the TC, if just into the Data shared folder then the path would be...

\\timecapsulename\data