Answered

7.1 Surround Sound Possible ?

• 6 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
I currently have the sonos beam and 2 sonos one speakers. I'm planning on purchasing the sub asap to create 5.1 surround sound but I wondered if I was to purchase another 2 sonos one speakers, could they all link together to create a 7.1 surround sound system ?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 6 January 2019, 22:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

It’s not a true 7.1, more like a 5.1 + 2.. but I have mine setup currently with a PlayBar, Sub, Play 5s as surrounds for one ‘room’, and then a separate ‘room’ with a stereo pair of Play 3s. Then I group them together.

Limitations:
It isn’t 7.1, and some audiophiles might be horrified by such a setup. That said, it will play as a 5.1 and a stereo pair with the same audio source.

You don’t have the ability to TruePlay them together. Both can be tuned as individual rooms, but it’s not quite the same thing.

Don’t expect an IR remote to change the volume of the grouped speakers, it just won’t. It will change the volume of the room the PlayBar is associated with though. There have been some workarounds described in the past, one of which I’ll mention next.

The app will, and voice control may (I haven’t used the speakers w/ Alexa). I have Google Assistant enabled through IFTTT (w/ a Google Home Mini) and configured to change the volume of the group.

Another downside of this setup is that it doesn’t lower the volume while issuing a voice command (use of the integrated Alexa might sort this out though, I honestly don’t know). I suspect I may be able to do that with some sort of clever use of IFTTT though. May try that this afternoon now that I’m thinking about it. ?
Don't let the answers put you off the sub though. i have the 5.1 with Beam / Play 1s / Sub, and I love it. If you have neighbours that can hear you, I would suggest not setting up the sub at night. The setup process is rather loud ( Thought i might lose my windows 😃 )
As many people have requested, in multiple threads. For many years.
Userlevel 1
Thanks alot. It would be cool if they introduced this at some point.
No, Sonos doesn't have the software/hardware capability at this moment to deal with a 7.1 signal. I don't know if that's a software or hardware (chip) limitation.