Question

7.1 Mixes Not Working?

• 24 August 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi all,

I updated to the Sonos S2 controller last night and today, for some reason, not a single one of my blurays plays an audio track when set to the 7.1 mix. They’ll play all other variants, but not 7.1.

Is anyone else having this problem? If so, how did you resolve it?

Cheers,

Andy

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I think I’ve figured it out… for some reason the system no longer automatically accepts the 7.1 output signal from my player, so I’ve had to change the settings so that it now supplies a secondary audio output which converts this to PCM.

Hopefully this is something to do with the optical cable and on the Arc it will be less relevant because I can then use HDMI. Although that in itself is funny: 8 years later and they still only managed to include 1 HDMI port. *eyeroll*

I assume you’re talking about the playbar, correct?  The playbar plays PCM stereo or dolby digital 5.1.  I would assume that whatever 7.1 signal you’re referring to was transcoded to 5.1 by your player or TV?  I would check the audio settings on those devices, although I don’t see why they would change with the S2 upgrade.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

I assume you’re talking about the playbar, correct?  The playbar plays PCM stereo or dolby digital 5.1.  I would assume that whatever 7.1 signal you’re referring to was transcoded to 5.1 by your player or TV?  I would check the audio settings on those devices, although I don’t see why they would change with the S2 upgrade.

Yeah, the Playbar.

I have a Sony X800M2 player which connects to the TV via an HDMI cable. Until I updated I had the Digital Audio Output (which determines whether or not to output bitstream or PCM signals) set to Auto and the BD Secondary Audio (which outputs bitstream signals like Dolby True HD) to Off and that would play whatever without issue; since the update, I’ve had to change the Secondary Audio to On. Not sure why as it wasn’t an issue before.

The two codecs the PLAYBAR can interpret are stereo, and Dolby Digital. If the change you made enabled Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS, the PLAYBAR would not be able to process those codecs.

The new Sonos Arc is the only Sonos device that can interpret Dolby Digital Plus ( via HDMI ARC ) and MAT ( via eARC ). The PLAYBAR (and optical connections) doesn’t have the processing power for these codecs. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

The two codecs the PLAYBAR can interpret are stereo, and Dolby Digital. If the change you made enabled Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS, the PLAYBAR would not be able to process those codecs.

The new Sonos Arc is the only Sonos device that can interpret Dolby Digital Plus ( via HDMI ARC ) and MAT ( via eARC ). The PLAYBAR (and optical connections) doesn’t have the processing power for these codecs. 

Maybe that’s what it is doing then.

It is weird, though, because until I installed the Sonos 2 app, I didn’t have to play around with settings at all; it always just worked regardless of whatever the mix was.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Well, actually, we discovered what the problem was: our BR Player cannot down-mix DTS to DD, so the only way for us to manage this was to constantly swap cables and alter the settings on the TV to manage either Atmos through HDMI/eArc, and use the optical cable for everything else and change the encoding to PCM. As a result, anything DTS could only be played as 2.0 PCM which sounds dreadful, and we have very few discs that have 5.1 soundtracks (which aren’t DTS encoded), so we have just decided to ditch Sonos altogether.

Sonos is good for music, but crap as a home cinema system - even with the new arc. Not supporting DTS is a huge limitation, made even worse if you have a player that can’t down-mix the tracks.

Managed to buy a replacement system for about half the price of the 5.1 ‘home cinema’ system offered by Sonos and it sounds better too.

Sonos really need to learn their lesson and start listening to their customers, IMHO. 8 years to add a single HDMI port to a soundbar, and then not to support what is effectively an industry standard encoding is rubbish. Especially for the £700 ‘privilege’!