Answered

5.1 without playbar

• 14 December 2018
  • 6 replies

I'd like to set up a 5.1 or 7.1 system using SONOS separates - 2 x Play 5 (left and right), 1 x Play 5 (Center), 2 x Play 1 (surround) and subwoofer. Is this possible?
icon

Best answer by bockersjv 14 December 2018, 14:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, MMAHON. 7.1 is not supported by Sonos but I will be sure to pass along the feedback for you. Let us know if you have any further questions. Many thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
For Home theatre you need to start with a Beam, Playbase or Playbar. They take the role of Centre, front left and front right in a 5.1 set up with two other (play 5, 2nd gen or Play 1 or one or Play 3) taking the rear channels.
Hi, I was aware of the conventional setup using the Beam, Playbase or Palybar; I was asking specifically about the ability to set up a theater surround system using separate speakers - Play 5's etc. I gather it's not possible. Thanks.
No, this is not possible. The only HT setup that Sonos offers is as described by @bockersjv.
Well, the Sonos Amp should really be included on that list. However, it will allow you to use passive speakers for the front L+R, with a phatom center. It will not get you to using play:5s as the front L+R+C that you're looking for.
Many thanks for all the help / advice everyone!