Answered

2x Play:5s versus Connect+AVR+Good quality stereo speakers

Couldn't find any answer to my following question in the community so far.
Has anyone ever compared the sound quality of

2x Play:5s
versus
2x good quality stereo speakers connected to a receiver, connected to Sonos Connect

I have a Marantz NR1605 and was thinking about adding speakers in middle to upper range such as KEF Q300 or slightly below. Not sure if I need an additional power amp, but let's assume that not.

I'd just be interested if anyone had experienced both and can give an advice.

Thanks in advance.
icon

Best answer by Kumar 3 March 2018, 01:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

What will be heard is the sound difference between the 5 pair and the Q300 pair - caused by how these speakers are designed and made. Preferences stated by anyone here will be subjective and cannot be as reliable as hearing for yourself.

One thing that the 5 pair will gain an advantage from is the Trueplay tuning feature that is not there if you use Connect.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I haven't tried my receiver setup in stereo mode, only 5.1 and compared to a pair of Generation 1 Play 5s, at above background listening levels they are far superior in sound. Considering the cost, size and power use of the receiver system ($2000 receiver and $4000 speakers) that is only to be expected.

Still I spend most of my time listening to a single Play 5 or a pair of Play 3s or headphones hooked to a Zoneplayer 80.
What will be heard is the sound difference between the 5 pair and the Q300 pair - caused by how these speakers are designed and made. Preferences stated by anyone here will be subjective and cannot be as reliable as hearing for yourself.

One thing that the 5 pair will gain an advantage from is the Trueplay tuning feature that is not there if you use Connect.

I know preferences are subjective but I was interested in them nonetheless. Trueplay is good point. Thanks
I haven't tried my receiver setup in stereo mode, only 5.1 and compared to a pair of Generation 1 Play 5s, at above background listening levels they are far superior in sound. Considering the cost, size and power use of the receiver system ($2000 receiver and $4000 speakers) that is only to be expected.

Still I spend most of my time listening to a single Play 5 or a pair of Play 3s or headphones hooked to a Zoneplayer 80.

Ok, with a system above 6000$ this sounds obvious. 🙂
The other question is why Sonos. What are you looking to get from Sonos that you will not get from the Marantz that can also stream music from the net?
Alternatively, why have the Marantz at all if you prefer the Sonos route?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
As you have a quality AVR, presumably you like quality surround sound from new codecs on blu-rays/dvds.
Sonos only supports DD5.1, and getting that from 4K blu-rays is not likely, unless your player can down decode to DD5.1 on the fly, some samsungs & Xboxes can.
If your play5's internal complicated electronics bust after 2yr waranty, you have lost the lot, not just the AVR or 1 blown speaker etc.
The sonos sub is expensive, compared to any make one you can add to your AVR.
You could add a chomecast audio to get GPM & internet radio on your AVR, plus bbc iplayer radio works with it.

However if you want house hold music all rooms playing the same in sycn, then sonos is still the best out there.
The other question is why Sonos. What are you looking to get from Sonos that you will not get from the Marantz that can also stream music from the net?
Alternatively, why have the Marantz at all if you prefer the Sonos route?

The need for music can vary over the day. Sometimes you just need something playing in the background. Easy to start and access. Sometimes it is the need to have music playing all over the place. Sonos wins here.
Had the Marantz way before I discovered that need.
As you have a quality AVR, presumably you like quality surround sound from new codecs on blu-rays/dvds.
Sonos only supports DD5.1, and getting that from 4K blu-rays is not likely, unless your player can down decode to DD5.1 on the fly, some samsungs & Xboxes can.
If your play5's internal complicated electronics bust after 2yr waranty, you have lost the lot, not just the AVR or 1 blown speaker etc.
The sonos sub is expensive, compared to any make one you can add to your AVR.
You could add a chomecast audio to get GPM & internet radio on your AVR, plus bbc iplayer radio works with it.

Good point. Lately I am more interested in music rather than surround though. Nevertheless,
I tend to keep the AVR alive for those "quality" usecases but also have the connect connected for the multi-room usecase.
Trueplay is good point. Thanks
I thought that most modern receivers also had their own version of this - i.e. use a mic and a set up routine to tune the system to suit the room acoustics.Or maybe it's just Onkyo.

The need for music can vary over the day. Sometimes you just need something playing in the background. Easy to start and access. Sometimes it is the need to have music playing all over the place. Sonos wins here.
Had the Marantz way before I discovered that need.

Right; that suggests two ways forward, one that involves selling the Marantz, because keeping it and meeting the new objective may involve buying an overly expensive Connect.

Instead, get the KEF sound if that is desired by getting the equally good, or even slightly better KEF Q100, driven by a Sonos Connect Amp with bass duties handled by a Sonos Sub. The 100 has the better midrange than the 300 because the latter's is somewhat compromised by having do the more bass it is designed to do. You could also run the Connect Amp with the 300 of course. Or, get out of passive speaker tech completely, and get a 1 pair + Sub, my preference over a 5 pair for best sound, even over the KEF 100/300. Of course 5 pair + Sub is better, but is a lot more expense. Fyi, I have the 100 as well as 1 units in my set ups.

Get music in other rooms by adding as many play units as you need in those; the play 1 is very versatile for giving good results even in single unit form in small kitchens/bedrooms.

The way to keep the Marantz is to have it wired to something like a 300, or a 100 with a third party sub, if you are sure of getting a Sub that will integrate as well as the Sonos Sub, which can't be used with even a Connect in the set up. Which Connect you will need only if you want this set up to deliver music that is in sync with music when played on the other Sonos speakers in other rooms, with a common interface.